Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:56 am

Re: Radiator caps for GRD 214

This is getting interesting. The shelf at the bottom of my radiator filler neck is below the overflow tube. If I installed a cap, where the washer at the bottom of the pressure spring, sealed that shelf I believe it would work but I am not at all sure that a 4psi cap would prevent the “puking “ out. I guess some have said that it’s a successful solution.

The radiator does not release fluid while driving ( to the best of my knowledge ) . It seems to releave itself after stopping and idling and I’m pretty sure I hear it gurgling prior to spitting out the fluid. I always associated this with boiling over. The radiator has been out and tested. The block has been flushed and appears clear ( looks very clean when looking into the head while the radiator hose neck Is removed from the head).

I do carry a bottle of coolant behind the seat. When I can no longer see the fluid I add more. There is no coolant in the oil and no oil in the radiator coolant. The heater has no leaks nor can I finds leak in any in any hoses. I did have weeping at the water pump shaft. The pump is now being rebuilt.

I’ll run the “0” pressure cap when I reinstall the water pump,and see what happens. Meanwhile if anyone on this forum has used a 4psi cap with success please let us know.

Thank,
Bk