Cab removal

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Cab removal

Can anyone tell me is there more than 3 body mounts on a 47 KB7
One on each side on the front and one in the back center of the cab?
I have it up on the lift and that's all I can see.
Help?
Also on the running board mounts, some have bolts but others seem to be ribbets??

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Cab removal

("some have bolts but others seem to be ribbets??) Are you a frog?
OK Kermit, Take the bolts out and drill the rivets out. Replace the rivets with bolts at the time of assembly. I like to cross-cut the rivet heads and then shear the rivet head off with a pneumatic chisel.
The factory most likely used a rivet squeezer. Google it.
We have replaced many if not all of the OEM factory rivets with grade 8 fine thread bolts. I use a chucking reamer to properly size the holes for the fastener. The threads of the replacement bolt should never be in the joint. Threads are a stress riser (Google it) and therefore do not have the same resistance to flex as a straight bolt shank. On these old and thin frames. I always insit on using grade 8 washers to help spread the loading around the bolt hole. Google for correct bolt torque. If you do not have a torque wernch, buy one. Accuracy is as important as consistancy when it come to setting the correct tightening,
Your local FASTENAL have all of the fasteners you will ever need. Check their on-line catalogue for what you need. If you arrive at the Fastenal store with their SKU numbers, they will thank you. I printed up a purchase order look-a-like for my last visit. I got exactly what I wanted and a big discount.
When you are using the on-line Fastenal catalogue it is possible to go right to the parts you need, quickly and easily. The Fastenal catalogue I was given is about 1000 pages, heavy and the print is small.
Fastenal also do custom shipping. If you need this service, the counter person will give you a list of your responsibilities.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:06 pm

nikkinutshop wrote: ("some have bolts but others seem to be ribbets??) Are you a frog?
OK Kermit, Take the bolts out and drill the rivets out.

Some how I knew you would respond to this like you did. What a great Welcome you give newcomers to the forum.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:36 pm

With you, KS, I never know if what you say is a pat on the back or a kick in the pants. Ultimately, I don't really care, one way or the other.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:33 pm

I realized after I posted I misspelled rivets.
I appreciate the extra information and will use it accordingly
although you did not answer my question about the # of body mounts
Took the running boards, battery box and gas tank out and all I still can see is 3 body/cab mounts?
Also found a lot of square head bolts and on some a 12mm fit better than 1/2" to avoid stripping.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 pm

sorry, I should have spoke up a long time ago. Yes, only Three cab mounts on the larger trucks. Two at the front and one at the back. The one in the back should be to a "bar" across the back of the cab and fastened to the cab in the two spots that the smaller trucks would fasten to the frame at. The center back mount gives the cab some "twist" for the bigger trucks and their loads. As has been stated in the past, the "ladder" style frames had some "flex" to them and the center back mount would allow that and not separate the seams on the cab. I am sure others will have possibly more to say, but that is the "laymans" terms for what it is.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:07 pm

thanks for your help and to know I'm seeing things right. I have a lot to learn but it's been fun so far(that doesn't mean it's not hard work)
I'm not sure how the purists might take it but my project will be to combine 2 KB's to build a crew cab truck with a custom made pickup bed
The pickup bed will use 2 of the 4 front fenders I have.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:37 pm

It is a neat Idea, I hope you can get it done. I want(ed) to add 24" to an L112 cab and stretch the frame the same to make an extra extended cab L pickup. Mine will probably never get built unless I gain a lot of money or find someone with the same "dream". I like your Idea.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Lloyd, you could give this guy your bits and pieces for future consideration. MMOFB. I get that.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:43 pm

Got the fenders, hood, grill and cab off the frame. I built a frame jig the same dimensions as my 1997 GMC K3500 4x4 dually and the cab fits though a little trimming (1/2") at the front will be necessary for perfect fit. The front wheel span on the KB is approx. 76 inches and that is the same as GMC. What's interesting is that the outer dually wheels on the International line up with the front wheels and on the GMC the inner duals line up with the front wheel span.
Next

Return to K and KB