Head gasket on Green Diamond

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Head gasket on Green Diamond

What do the experts recommend putting on the gasket before torqueing it down? I am rebuilding the engine and on some tractor sites they say to coat the head gasket with a lot of different things...mostly an item called Copper Kote.
Thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 am

Re: Head gasket on Green Diamond

I have been working on and restoring old engines (pre 1950's) for over 40 years. I am a big fan of the copper coat from Permatex. Flatheads are notorious for "weeping" type leaks if not torqued in the correct order and to the correct specs. I like to put a light coat of the copper coat on both gasket surfaces and on the block and head. So far, I have had great success.

Your mileage may vary.......

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm

It is also important to torque the head down initially, then again after the engine is started and warmed up. You'll be surprised how many times you can go back and get an extra turn on the head bolts after you drive it a few times. Not re-torquing the head bolts until they no longer turn will result in "weeping".
I believe the torque spec is 60 Ft-Lb. Keep re-torquing the head at 60 Ft-Lb until they no longer turn. It may take a week.
Use thread sealant on the head bolts as they thread into the block.

Tony

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:22 am

ks ihc guy wrote:What do the experts recommend putting on the gasket before torqueing it down? I am rebuilding the engine and on some tractor sites they say to coat the head gasket with a lot of different things...mostly an item called Copper Kote.
Thanks.

Like Tom said Copper coat by Permatex ONLY.

Marc

PS, Take a very close look at the head bolt threads in the block. Better to find a problem now then when your torquing the Head bolts.
1947 KB-2
1952 Morris Minor MM (RHD)
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL
2000 BMW 528i (240,000 Mi.)
1979 Benelli G2 Moped (39 Mi.)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:01 pm

It goes without saying (I Hope), that the following must be followed when replacing a head gasket
1.) thoroughly clean both head and block surfaces. A quick check with a good straight edge will show any warpage, if none, proceed
2.) Chase ALL head bolt/stud holes. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN
3.) Use Permatex #2 on all threads that go into the block. Most of the head bolt holes go through into the water jacket (not all, but most)
4.) Use Permatex Copper Coat on both sides of gasket and on head and block surfaces
5.) Tighten head bolts as shown:
6.) STart engine and bring up to operating temp. run it until entire block is fully warmed up. Re-torque bolts to specs.

Enjoy your new head gasket with minimal chance of leakage (note the use of the word MINIMAL). Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed except death and taxes.

Return to K and KB