K 1-3 front brakes

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

Re: K 1-3 front brakes

I hesitate to step in here, but...

I don't think redrilling a drum or rotor would necessarily make it unsafe as long as the holes were not too close together and were drilled in an area of the same thickness as the original holes. OEMs don't do it because everything is made for a specific application. Aftermarket manufacturers do though, and of course have liability for a failure of their design.

rotor1.jpg
rotor1.jpg (6.89 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
rotor2.jpg
rotor2.jpg (4.01 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 pm

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ge ... rn-138563/

Read this thread. I was putting this out there as a viable option. I know you can buy brake drums with more than one bolt pattern as I've seen them in pictures. I have no issues with safely redrilling the mounting flange on a brake drum. I've never done it but if I was to do it I would research it before I did it. There would be phone calls made etc.

If you knew me you would know that I don't just toss out an idea just because. I file things away in my mind as I see them for future reference if I see a solution to a problem. I routinely think outside the box as my mind works totally different than most peoples. When I was younger it bothered me but not anymore. If what I say bothers you...well that's just too bad.

So I would like you to do several things. One is read the above linked thread. That's the first one I found. I'm sure there are more. I googled " multiple bolt pattern brake drums ".You might want to try a different search. Also you never answered my question about whether drilling brake drum mounting flanges had been unsuccessfully done.

Now I'll admit that maybe I over reacted a bit to your comments. My apologies. Next time I perceive that someone is trampling over what I meant as a sincere viable alternative I'll try to cool off before I respond.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:13 pm

bedrockjon wrote:KB 1-3 use same brake shoes and cylinders, you can get stainless steel ones from speedway motors rather than from a Ferd supplier,

KB 1-2 use same drums that are now available, I don't think they are same as Ferd, I think it's only the guts that are same,

A KB 3 front axle I beam is beefier than a 1-2 , but spindle/bearing race size is same, so like Monson says you can swap front hub/drums from 5 or 6 lug,

KB 3 6 lug drums are still unobtanium

Thank you very much

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:52 am

Drums are drilled for dual patterns. Installed a Ford 9" rear under my '68 Lemans and the Ford drums are drilled for a GM pattern. They have both the Ford 5 X 4 1/2" & GM 5 x 4 3/4" wheel pattern drilled into them.

With regards to re-drilling a brake drum mounting flange, I don't think anyone other than a home do-it-yourselfer would do it because of the liability if the hub were weakened and failed. An adapter is what most opt to do, whether aftermarket or custom machined. I did find one guy offering a machined aluminum dual pattern hub - Dual bolt pattern hubs. 5x4.75" and 5x120mm for BMW and Modern GM wheels. So it is possible to design and machine such a hub, but probably not the best, or safest way to go in drilling a hub not designed with the needed strength to support a dual bolt pattern.
Previous

Return to K and KB