Gauge Cluster Rebuilt

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Gauge Cluster Rebuilt

My gauge cluster was a mess from sitting in the truck outside with broken windows for twenty some odd years. I had heard about Larry Leitheiser's work and decided to give him a call.
He's real easy to work with and a very nice guy. Takes pride in his work and told me he had rebuilt some 280 of these clusters. I'm very happy and thought I'd show you what he did for me.
He cleans, re calibrates and repaints these units. My fuel gauge needle had fallen off but, was still inside the gauge cluster which was full of dirt, old paint and crap.
Here's the front, the shot of the back side didn't work very well but, it all looks brand new, including new insulators on the back side of the gauges.

If you would like his information send me an email or pm and I'll send it to you. It took him about two months but, he was backed up when I spoke to him and I still got it back before Christmas.

So, that's it for now.
Peter

I hope this posts correctly or I gonna be embarrassed.
Attachments
IMGP0024.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Re: Gauge Cluster Rebuilt

he does nice work! did you keep mileage as it was before his work? when I first got my KB-6 I disassembled and cleaned up my gauges, I set my odometer back to zero,

since it's odometer exempt, I figured no one cares, I certainly wouldn't try to pass off my truck as having under 600 miles on it,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 am

Looks like new! Maybe better than new.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Yes, he reset it to the original mileage when he got through rebuilding it. This was one of the first question he asked me when I spoke with him.
He also said he could set the odometer to any mileage I wanted. I thought I'd keep the mileage the same since I'm not through with the DMV yet.
Already been there 3 times and don't want to confuse them any more than necessary. They're treating me as I'm trying to pull a fast one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the DMV
I had a lady at our local DMV that gave me a ton of trouble with titling a 1952 ihc panel truck, I finally just went to a different location and breezed right thru,
Best of luck to you
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:44 pm

That Larry is one swell guy he has my gauge cluster now and he even had a complete seat frame for a KB which I gladly bought as mine had nothing. Nice guy to talk too and deal with. I highly recommend him.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Larry did the gauges for my KB-2. Beautiful job for a fair price. Would recommend him all day long. Stickman207

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:42 pm

He also rebuilds the Bosch-America wiper motors, as soon as I can remove mine I'm going to send them to him.
And, he has an electronic tachometer for 12 volt conversions, for those who have or want to convert, (there's a joke there)
and it looks like an original mechanical tach. I think the list goes on and on.

Great guy to work with.

Glad to hear you gentleman have also had similar experiences to mine.
Peter

Return to K and KB