KB2 Heater / new motor in

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:39 am

KB2 Heater / new motor in

This will be interesting! I have cleaned the heater, tested the core (it's good) and motor (bad) ordered a new motor and started to glass bead clean the parts. I imagine the outer case was IHC Dark Green. The fan was black and the fan case a gray color much like the Speedo / gauge face.

Last edited by DOXIN on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
1947 KB-2
1952 Morris Minor MM (RHD)
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL
2000 BMW 528i (240,000 Mi.)
1979 Benelli G2 Moped (39 Mi.)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: KB2 Heater / Wasp nest

Where did you order your order from? Is it reversable like the origonal?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am

goose wrote:Where did you order your order from? Is it reversable like the origonal?

It is reversible. O'Rielly Auto Parts. I just called and it came in to their store. The case is almost ready to paint.

Marc
1947 KB-2
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 pm

DOXIN wrote:
goose wrote:Where did you order your order from? Is it reversable like the origonal?

It is reversible. O'Rielly Auto Parts. I just called and it came in to their store. The case is almost ready to paint.

Marc

Please more info, the thought has been the original style 2 direction motor replacement didn't exist,

Be very interested, I disassembled and rebuilt my fan motor, well reconditioned it

Cleaned up all the parts and resoldered all the connections to armature to windings, took a while but it works great,,,,,,,,,for now
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:41 pm

I thought it was the switch itself that reversed the heater motor. Original switch turned up so I soaked it and its now freed up.
I used a standard electric motor with a illuminated adjustable speed switch so I cant reverse but these heaters are very efficient. Had my truck out in -30 and no problem keeping interior warm.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:04 pm

For it to reverse, you need to be able to reverse the field relative to the armature current, so a single wire motor or even a two wire will not be reversible.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:16 am

windigo69 wrote:I thought it was the switch itself that reversed the heater motor. Original switch turned up so I soaked it and its now freed up.

cornbinder89 wrote:For it to reverse, you need to be able to reverse the field relative to the armature current, so a single wire motor or even a two wire will not be reversible.

On the original motors the field and armature are both copper windings. The switch orients the polarities of each such that the motor can run either direction.

I suspect any modern motor with only two wires has permanent magnets in the field. Reversing direction with such motors is simply a matter of reversing polarity to the leads, and neither one would be grounded to the heater frame like the 4-wire motor. A single DPDT toggle would do the trick for reversing the motor. You could maybe get an original ARK-LES switch to work. I'd have to think about that one...

Any 1-wire motor must have a grounded case/frame and could not be reversed (not in our application anyway).

BTW, just refurbished my old 4-wire motor with new wiring, cleaned/oiled bushings, and new carbon brushes. It didn't actually need brushes, at least not until I broke one during reassembly. $4 each at ACE Hardware. 1/4" x 1/4" and something like 9/16" long. Works like new.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:26 am

Not all modern stuff is perm mag field, but everything you say is true. Since the field is permeant magnets. changeing the polarity of the armature, will reverse the motor, but as I say it cannot be a wound field motor.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:30 am

hello i have the same as your and i did connected it ,that way to get single rotation.. if you want double rotations you have
Moteur chaufferette connections.jpg
to do: i hope you see whell what i send..
Moteur chaufferette connections.jpg
Attachments
plan électrique chaufferette camion.jpg
to get double rotations

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:57 am

DOXIN wrote:This will be interesting! I have cleaned the heater, tested the core (it's good) and motor (bad) ordered a new motor and started to glass bead clean the parts. I imagine the outer case was IHC Dark Green. The fan was black and the fan case a gray color much like the Speedo / gauge face.

Progress:

1947 KB-2 heater box color?

The box has been glass bead cleaned sanded and primed. The base that bolts to the firewall appears to be a grey/brown color. The fan and heater core are black.

The motor I bought needs only slight modification to work in place of the original. She shaft is 5/16" so the fan hub had to be drilled and reamed to fit. This was done on our metal lathe. It could easily be done on a drill press.

The motor bolts needed to be reversed and are slightly larger than the originals. They go through the mounting rubbers easily; the small washers need to be drilled to 6 mm. The shaft has a flat surface and the setscrew works fine. I replaced it with an Allen head set screw only because I had one on hand and they hold better. The shaft is slightly longer than original so I'll cut it to length if it needs to be.

The door knobs are and great shape so I will be using them to cast new ones for spares. I'll be casting new knobs for the cables and h.light switch so...

more photos later
1947 KB-2
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL
Next

Return to K and KB