Rear axle bearings.

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:10 am

Rear axle bearings.

Hi can anybody tell me how far wheel bearings need to go on to rear axle of a K2. Thanks Darryl.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:51 am

Re: Rear axle bearings.

No experience on this, BUT, from the Service manual:

K2 uses an R1050 rear end assembly.

"To properly install wheel bearings on the rear axle shaft, they should be heated in light oil at 225 degrees to provide a light press on the shaft. This procedure is necessary as the wheel bearings are designed for a shrink fit on the axle shaft.
The recommended end play of the axle shaft is from .004" to .008" and this is adjusted by the shims between the end of the axle housing and the backing plate.
When a new axle shaft is installed the end play must be carefully checked and shims added or removed as required."

Hope that helps.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 am

Wonder how many are "properly" heated to 225 degrees for proper fit?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am

lbesq wrote:Wonder how many are "properly" heated to 225 degrees for proper fit?

In a time when many may not have access to a hyd press, heating the bearing allowed for a "light press fit" meaning a screw arbor press or even tapping it home with a brass drift would get the job done. With a hyd press, it could be done without heating, it would be a "tight press fit".
I used to keep a hot plate and old pan to heat bearings in oil at work.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:39 pm

A bearing that won't press on as tight as it should be on the axle can be tightened up by taking a center punch and punching smalll dimplels on the axle where the bearing seats. Im not refering to a sloppy bearing with axle damage over 10 to 15 thousandths. I start with punch at 12 -3- 6- 9 oclock on the axle. Its easy to overdue. Start light with the punch. The punch dimple will raise the metal around the indentation and tighten the bearing up.
The other option would be to turn it down on a lathe and make a sleeve. Or replace the axle.The axle could also be knurled.
This is something I have done and seen done as long as I have been around.
Last edited by mikelud on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Thank to everyone. I have replaced the old bearings and pressed the new ones on the same distance but r/h/side has no shims &l/h/side needs about 3/16 of shims. I had trouble putting in new seals National no/450143.The old seals fitted flush.The old seal no/ Flaseal 11196 fitted flush in housing.My old neighbour is coming over this morn to have a look as he pressed the bearings on.He is a retired mechanic.The only reason i pulled it apart was to sleeve and kit brake cyls and thought i would replace the bearings.I found one was loose and the other tight.I will let him have a read of the posts and see what he comes up with. Thanks again to everyone and i will let you know he results. Thanks Darryl.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 am

Hi. Just to let everyone know the new seals were not fitting right. They are wider than the old ones so i ended up using the old ones again as they were ok.The only thing i have left to do is to drill one axle and put in a split pin to secure the nut as the lock tab is history.The other one has been done for 20 yrs and no problems. Thanks again Darryl.

Return to K and KB