Wiring Diagram Kb3

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 am

Wiring Diagram Kb3

I'm finally getting back to the old Kb-3. Work got busy and the project stalled again.
One of the ignition wires burned up when I was cranking on it to start. The wiring is all old and original.
I need to rewire it and I don't know where to start. Some one has already converted it to 12v with a gm alterantor and fuse panel.

Is there a wiring diagram available for download?
I searched the forum but only came up with a headlight diagram.

Does anyone make a complete harness for these trucks?

Thanks for your feedback and help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 am

Re: Wiring Diagram Kb3

Well if some one "converted" it a factory diagram isn't going to be much help. Either rip out and start over or continue on with what it has. If non stock then run your own wires for each function as needed.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 pm

The truck has the old wires in tact, is it possible someone converted it to 12v without changing the original wiring?

I don't have much history on the truck. Ill try to take some pics of what it currently has and upload them.

Does anyone have experience on doing the 12v conversion?

Is there a wiring harness that anyone knows of that any company makes?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Sure, 6 volt wiring is larger so can handle 12 volts just fine as is, the reverse is not true, as for the same work 6 volt requires twice the current of 12 volt, and current determines wire gauge.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 pm

47flatbed wrote:The truck has the old wires in tact, is it possible someone converted it to 12v without changing the original wiring?

I don't have much history on the truck. Ill try to take some pics of what it currently has and upload them.

Does anyone have experience on doing the 12v conversion?

Is there a wiring harness that anyone knows of that any company makes?

Rhode Island Wire makes an original wire harness - I just bought one for my brother's KB5 I am working on. His wiring is shot - bare spots, wires spliced & taped, and some corroded. Not inexpensive, but is just like factory. So far, I completed a 12volt negative ground ignition system conversion on his truck. Your, like mine, was originally a 6volt positive ground system and may be why you fried up your wire. If you have a 12volt alternator, my guess is that it is 12 volt negative (they do make a 6volt positive ground alternator). If you have the original gauges, these will burn up using 12 volts, so you need some sort of voltage reducer unless you are installing custom gauges. So anything factory will be 6volts, positive ground.

On my conversion, I kept the factory generator but had it converted to 12volts by changing the fields and having it rebuilt. I wanted the stock look. I used a matching 30 Amp, negative ground, Voltage Regulator as the factory system is 30 Amps. Did a Pertronix 12volt, negative ground, electronic conversion on the distributor to eliminate the points & 12 volt coil with the wires swapped on the coil to go from positive ground to negative ground. Swapped the wires on the factory Amp gauge so it would read correctly for a negative ground system. Marked & disconnected all other gauge wires so as not to fry the gauges. Starter does not need any conversion or changes. Did all this to get it running on 12volts, and am now in the process of doing the re-wiring of the entire truck and swapping everything over to 12volt lights/bulbs. Also plan on installing some fuses in the system and a 12volt power block so I/my brother can add 12volt accessories in the future.

As stated, the 6volt wiring is heavier than 12volt, so there is no problem going to 12volt. Doing an upgrade as it sounds like you have, will probably take a little time and work to sort out your needs. I considered this myself, but felt it would be better to try and keep the KB5 more like stock due to its present overall condition, and I felt it simpler to replace factory wires one-for-one rather than build a wiring harness - measuring, cutting, soldering ends, shrink wrapping, testing, etc.. I am also using stock switches and the like.

If I was hot rodding or upgrading it all, then I would have used standard plastic insulated wiring or a kit, modern ignition switch, headlight switch, wiper motor/wipers, heater blower & switch, gauges, etc.. If doing this, check Speedway Motors or get their free catalog which is aimed at hot rodders and conversion type pieces. You can get some good ideas. I am using some of their catalog items myself to do a little upgrading like the wiper system, turn signal/4-way flasher unit, lights, etc..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Since your truck is mostly on 12 volts, I think it would be a great idea to up-grade the wiring to something like American Auto Wire. This company builds everything they sell in USA with components made in USA. AAW pricing is competitive and the quality if the best. American Autowire have more than a few wire kits and one for almost every need. You do not want to buy a wire kit specific for an Old IHC. The original factory wiring was simple and economic for the factory.
There is nothing special about the switches and other electric components in you old IHC. IH used off the shelf Stewart Warner, and Cole Hersee for many applications. My first choice is AUTOMETER.
I bought and installed Painless Performance Wire in our 1940 Ford. We found much of the wiring had corrosion under the insulation. This problem added weeks to the build. I have to believe this situation will become a problem in the future. I have a plan to remove the Painless system and replace it all with American Autowire. http://www.autometer.com/gauges.html
There are several companies that can convert the "K" gauges to modern works. I milled out the dash insert adapter so I could use modern Autometer gauges.

https://www.americanautowire.com/ Their web-site lists most of the AAW dealers.
I did check ANAZON for pricing on American Autowire products and, when I looked, the Amazon pricing was much higher and up to four times higher.
Attachments
DASH INSERT BILLET.jpg
billet insert for modern gauges.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to K and KB