KB5 Dash Removal

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:20 pm

KB5 Dash Removal

Ok, pulled the front fender/grille assembly off the KB5 (I'll have photos posted later) so I can replace/install the new wiring harness - and do some other work as well.

I was looking at the metal dash panel that holds the gauge cluster and assorted knobs. There is a row of bolts which goes completely around the metal dash panel from floor up around and over the dash panel and back down the other side to the floor. It looks like I could possibly remove all the bolts and pull the metal dash out.

It looks to me that if I could pull the metal dash panel out, it would be much easier to remove all the old wiring, light switch, key switch, choke/throttle cables, glove box, and then service these parts as needed. Then I could re-install all the dash items, my new gauge cluster, and install my new wiring harness. Then I would feed the new harness through the firewall and bolt back up the metal dash panel.

It seems this would be an easier way of doing this rather than laying on my back trying to get all the dash items pulled out, re-installed them and then attach all my wires to the gauge cluster and switches.

Does unbolting the metal dash panel sound reasonable?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: KB5 Dash Removal

on factory body trucks dash is part of cab, so laying on back is only option,

since yours is coach built sounds like dash can be unbolted,

that being said wiring is so basic that there are probably only 7-8 connections to be made behind dash, the instrument cluster comes out super EZ, with two screws on the front, and disconnect wires/speedo. I remove two screws, and drop it a little then disconnect speedo, the you can tip it and access all connections thru dash hole instead of laying down.

only electrical connections besides cluster is headlight switch, dash/panel light switch, heater, you may have more since it's a custom coach built,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: KB5 Dash Removal

Thanks for the reply. I had already pulled the gauge pod and removed all the wires to the gauges and reversed the Amp gauge connection just before I fired the engine up with its 12volt negative ground conversion - did not want to fry any of the instruments even though I am installing a new gauge cluster. I can see the wires hooked up to the light switch which is accessible through the gauge pod opening, but the wires looked pretty close to one another in the way they were attached to the side of the switch.

Yes, very few wire connections on mine and the worst looking one is the headlight switch. I am not sure how to pull this one out as I figured it would be much easier to access it with the panel removed. It has the "flat pull bar" on the dash side and when I pull it out, it has two pull rods that seem to have a detent for running/parking lights and then when pulled out fully it hits another detent and I assume that will be for the headlights to come on - so a two position switch just like the older cars having headlight pull switches.

I also have to remove the choke & throttle pull cables which are right next to and inline with the headlight switch as they are seized up. I don't see any obvious lever for the cowl vent and the wiper motor is missing - what is left looks to be unserviceable (but I think I have that figured out with an aftermarket "hot rod" set-up).

The floor on my KB5 is flat diamond plate so not really a big deal if I have to work under the dash panel, just seems easier to have everything accessible if I could remove the metal dash. I suppose I can undo the bolts around the dash and see what happens - if anything. So, learning as I go.

Return to K and KB