Engine Removal

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Engine Removal

I am getting ready to remove my KB-2 (49) engine and cannot find a procedure; any recommendations?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Engine Removal

manual says to remove entire front clip, 2 nuts/bolts each side at running boards, 2 bolts each side at side of cowl just below hood, remove cross bar brace,

2 bolts bottom of radiator support, disconnect radiator hoses, wires to headlights, front clip comes off with radiator as a unit.-takes two people to do this,

then drop driveline, disconnect E brake cable, remove 4 bolts front of transmission, pull and drop transmission, disconnect clutch linkage at bellhousing,

disconnect fuel line, electrical wires, remove ground strap, disconnect exhaust, disconnect throttle at carburetor, remove 2 front motor mount bolts, remove 2 bellhousing to frame bolts,

engine and bellhousing remove together out front of truck, some guys split engine from bell and leave it in truck, but factory manual says to remove them as a unit,
Attachments
IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG (28.8 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 am

Thank you; I need a different manual.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 am

Don't forget to SWEAR profusely, bleed when cut, bruise as you drop heavy truck parts on yourself, burn yourself on hot exhaust parts, inadvertently kick important bolts under the workbench, fight with wife and neighbors over its unsightliness, toss wrenches in disgust into another yard.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:Don't forget to SWEAR profusely, bleed when cut, bruise as you drop heavy truck parts on yourself, burn yourself on hot exhaust parts, inadvertently kick important bolts under the workbench, fight with wife and neighbors over its unsightliness, toss wrenches in disgust into another yard.

I learned my wrench tossing lesson years ago,

using a 1/2" ratchet and socket, leaning over into engine bay, could NOT get to that bolt, slipped & ripped my knuckle open,

I threw the ratchet at the fender, it bounced off the fender, hit me in the head and flew into the blackberry (sticker) bushes,

got a dented fender, dented forehead, torn knuckle, shredded arm from stickers, and the bolt was still tight as ever, :t0116:

now I am more mellow, I just fight with people on the internet if a bolt won't break loose, :t0201:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:21 pm

bedrockjon wrote:[
now I am more mellow, I just fight with people on the internet if a bolt won't break loose, :t0201:

Always here to help :jester:

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 pm

I still throw some choice words but have also learned not to throw my tools
My grandauter caught me mfin my tractor one day. I felt so small. I told her I use to work in a factory with a lot of guys that talked like that and its a bad habit.
It's ok to get mad. blody knuckles hurt. As you age you can feel when the wrench is about to slip and take a different approach. Sometimes you still bleed.

To the member pulling your engine. A book is your first and best tool. Then there is a google search box. Type in your question and chances are someone has asked it on the web.
Then the search box on this forum. If you follow this route and need to ask a question here it will be with enough knowlede to ask a good question and get a good answer.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:37 pm

I get so mad the project goes on hiatus.
Second time around I practically dance through "the obstacle".
BRJ your story is hilarious! That's why I still have HAIR. To cover the DENTS.
:)
I think worst case on an involved repair is when you are STUCK for hours or days and even strangers walking by are adding their two cents.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:42 pm

My other favorite is looking ALL over for that 9/16 box wrench I have firmly grasped in my hand

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:55 pm

I forgot to look at the manual for the procedure. I just pulled the front fenders and hood. Didn't seem that hard. The engine is heavy. I left the transmission attached but removed the shifter.
Next

Return to K and KB