E brake for Explorer rear end on K1

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:31 pm

E brake for Explorer rear end on K1

I am in the process of swapping the original stock rearend on my 41 K1 Station Wagon with a 91 Ford Explorer 8.8 3.55 rearend. I would like to retain use of the original e brake cabling that goes to the rear drums. What have other people come up with for an e brake connection that have done the 8.8 Ford axle swap?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: E brake for Explorer rear end on K1

I do frame swaps on old trucks. The first thing that comes to mind is to take ALL the E Brake donor stuff from the Explorer and make it work that way, including the pedal/lever that is inside the cab. That would include brackets, cables, adjuster, firewall grommet, conduits, and inside pedal or lever. If the donor E Brake brackets don't come off then you have to cut them off or build your own?
The second thing that comes to mind is install a different model IHC transmission that has the E Brake drum and lever attached. Should be one of those around because of all the hot rod guys throwing them away.
As far as an old/new hybrid goes...I personally hate to think that hard and there ARE safety issues. You are making things hard on yourself?
However, if you insist, lay out the various components and see how they would interface. Try not to make cable length modifications unless you absolutely have to (for safety's sake). I like to look at everything available from BOTH vehicles (donor and IHC) to see what looks to be the easiest and most dependable (it's BRAKES) solution.
Having said all that, there is something very satisfying about adopting a great E Brake set up on an old truck.
Good luck!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:29 pm

I use the "E" brake components from LOKAR. https://www.cjponyparts.com/rear-parkin ... qcQAvD_BwE
I installed a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes under our 1940 Ford. LOKAR supplied the parts. I am quite pleased with their components.
In the picture, if you look carefully, you can see the right "E" brake cable come forward and cross over to the left. The left side cable goes straight forward along the left rail. I adjusted the lay of the right cable so both ends would meet. I made connection adapters to tie the rear cables into a single LOKAR cable that goes to the under-dash pedal.
Attachments
ECU AND SATELLITE LOCATION.jpg
parking brake pedal to the left
parking brake 1.jpg
Open to mill and install a micro-switch
8.8 rear in ther, really.jpg
8.8 "E" brake cable
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:17 pm

I installed a rear end out of S10 and used two S10 rear cables and then a piece of steel cable from junction of rear cables to original floor mounted hand brake.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks for the responses on the e brake. It gives me some things to consider. The donor vehicle is no longer available for other parts, I was lucky to obtain this particular rearend and drive shaft here in Florida. I would most likely have to do another driving trip to the midwest or somewhere to find an e brake equipped transmission. Each component change creates another level of complication to the process. May have to try the hybrid of parts solution for e brake. I'm swapping out the rearend to primarily be able to survive driving around the backroads of Florida and not be run into by all the wannabe NASCAR drivers while I plod along at 45-50 mph. Being able to at least drive 60 will limit the number of people passing me and nearly causing head-on collisions while I veer to the sandy and dangerous grassy roadsides (can't call them shoulders here). There is little consideration by drivers for older slower vehicles around here, they're too busy looking at their phone or have to impatiently go fast. That's my soapbox for the day. The other option is to spend a whole lot of money to have a shop totally hot rod the truck. My wife would prefer to see the truck gone, so any funding requires a lot of negotiating, if you know what i mean. I hate swapping the rearend but it seems like the most reasonable option for future driveability.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 am

A possible option - cut to fit kit that works with 8 inch Ford rearends.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Lokar/Lokar-U-Cut ... 6/10002/-1

Return to K and KB