Windshield Gasket question

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Windshield Gasket question

I looked in the forum but couldn't find a picture that would help me.
Which way does the windshield gasket go? Specifically does the part of the gasket with the extra "flap" go against the windshield frame or against the cab of the truck? It seems to me that it goes against the cab to help seal but I could convince myself it goes the other way too.
Thanks.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Windshield Gasket question

side with little second lip goes toward cab,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Perfect!!!!
Thank you.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:21 pm

So everyone was 100% correct. That gasket is a real pain. I spent time last night listening to the radio while doing the gasket. In the span of one complete hockey game I managed approx 30% install.
I am going back at it again tonight. Maybe by end of weekend I will be done.
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:33 pm

I soaked mine in hot water to make it soft, & smeared dish washing liquid soap on it to tuck it in used a plastic putty knife to push it all the way,

like wrestling a slippery eel, kind of stretch it a little to get it to fit in then push it back to original shape, try not to stretch going around the corners,

best to wait until you are ready to bolt windshield up, you then crank it closed tight and leave it for a long time,

you may need to adjust hinges at the top for in/out/up/down and side to side if you aren't putting original frame back in, takes a while to get it just right,
one sides adjustment changes the other side,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks for the insight, its most welcome.
I have some industrial rubber lubricant I have been using. I a found screwdriver works better for me because the putty knife grabbed too much material.
I tried to not stretch it all especially around the corners.
I finshed tonight during another hockey game so I must have gotten better.
Im going to leave it for a day before I trim the ends and join so that it can relax and setup.

Now i need to find replacement screws and nuts to attach the brackets to the windshield. The original screws were still there but somebody had used chrome acorn nuts. Unfortunately the nuts were the wrong thread and destroyed the ends of the screws. Hardware store run!!!
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 pm

The gasket is a PIA. I decided since glass was getting cut and installed into frame at glass shop that they should have the pleasure of installing gasket. I guess that was the only thing i farmed out other than wheel alignment.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:17 am

The shop hes the experience and tools. Somtimes the struggle isn't worth the cost of a pro doing it.

Reading Jon's suggestion of soaking the gasket in hot water made me think of using a heat gun to warm it as you move along. I use one when working with stubborn hoses. It helps. For the future wrestling matches of others.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Return to K and KB