Window glass template

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Window glass template

Hi,
I am looking for a template for the door glass on a 1949 KB-2. If I had a template, I could get the glass cut locally.
Does anyone know where I might locate such a template? Thanks!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:42 am

Re: Window glass template

This is a good post. I'd be curious to know this information as well. My truck has door glasses in it...but they are both missing sizable pieces of glass where they have been shot out. I'm sure when I attempt to get what's left of them out of the doors that they are just going to fall apart.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:38 am

I know that there was someone on one of the other incarnations who had "templates" and I will check with one of the local Glass shops to see if they have some, that they can at least give me "numbers" off of. Most shops will tell you they "can not" give out a copy of the "templates" as they are copyright protected.
lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:36 pm

If some kind soul has their intact or nearly intact glass out they might be able to trace it and send that to you.

I had pretty good luck taking the pieces of my window in and having them use that as a guide. If it's not absolutely shattered, you may be able to piece together what you have and make your own.

Then you could cut a piece of cardboard, masonite or thin plywood off it for a test fit and slide it into the window channel, adjusting as necessary until you're happy with the fit.

If you have no glass at all, you might be able to trace the window opening, add a little at the top 3 sides for the window channel and test fit your mock up as above. With the window rolled up, you should be able to stick a ruler down into the door to gauge how much length you need.

That's how I'd tackle it anyway.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:26 pm

I can trace you one off of the spare window that I have.It will be Wednesday before I can get it done and in the mail. PM me your address
Steve

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:10 am

first glass templates are readily avalble for all the k/kb series as well as most any vechicle.
this said most good glass shop can are have the ablity to generate/make a pattern to cut the door glass for you truck.

how ever allot of glass shops will jerk you around and tell you they can not are they do not have the patterns are the availability simply because they do not want to take the time/effort which is simple as looking in there books and geranting a pattern and again most any reliable glass shop that does automotive glass has this capability.

this said all the glass is flat so there for tracing a orgional window will not be hard.

how ever you could run into problem cutting the pattern out after it is traced so there for i personaly recomend you find a reliable glass shop that is willing to generate a pattern and cut you glass.

all this said the most important thing i have to say is when you have your new glass cut to make sure it is cut out of glue laim and not modern safety glass.

reason being is the new modern saftey glass is slightly thicker than the glue laim/orgional glass used for not only the windsheilds but also back window and door glass.

there for since the safety glass is thicker than the orgional glue laim you will not beable to install both you door glass sweeps/fuzzes.

further more if you use modern safety glass for you rear winnow it will leak due to the fact the safety glass is to thick and the seal will not fit and seal properly.

lastly and most importantly you must and i repeat must only use glue laim for windsheilds as it is eleagal and against federal law to use anything but glue laim for windsheild glass as well as any good reliable glass shop will not sell are install any thing but glue laim glass for windsheilds.
p.s i had all my cab glass for my kb1 which is 2 windsheilds 2 door windows and the back glass all cut in smoke gray glue laim glass at my local glass shop useing my old glass as patterns for $140.00 dollars and they seated the glass chanel runs to the windows.
hope this helps robertkb48

Return to K and KB