Little help with spare mount

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Little help with spare mount

Hey gang, doing body work on the bed and I'm at a point where I need to build my spare mount. Was going to go with a spare on driver's side of bed. All I have to go on is a couple of pics from the web. Was planning on replicating stock mount (which I hope these pics are, I think so). I just need some measurements of like how far the wheel plate is away from side of bed and what not. Anyone have a set up like this? Thanks!
Also is the real one a square plate or triangle? Or were most of these homemade anyway....
41 original spare mount.jpg

spare-mount-international-harvester.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Little help with spare mount

I do not know where your are on the keep it original thing, but if you are able to live with a much cleaner look on the side of the box you can buy one of the cable spare tire lift systems that so many new trucks come with. I bought one for $10 but it is unlikely I will be using the cable lift since we are putting rear fuel tanks in our trucks.
Our R120 cane with a spare tire side mount on the right side and it looked very much like red tire mount in the picture. The R120 had a double layer spot-welded to the inside of the box, possibly to add strength to the box to support the wheel/tire combination. The weight of the tire and wheel caused the box side to crack and there was heavy rusting between the layers of steel.
When I decided to keep the side mount, I made a spacer that went between the tire and the right side runningboard to help with the support.
For your information, IHC did offer an optional rear tire mount that went under the frame at the back. I have tossed several in the scrap, at the City Transfer Station, because of heavy rusting and I did not like the clumsy design.
Attachments
SPARE TIRE MOUNT LRS.jpg
L,R,& S side mount
rspare tire right side mount.jpg
optional spare tire mount.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:37 pm

OK please don't flame me, but KB trucks did not have a box side spare carrier from factory,

that first pic is a home made or scavenged one, IHC would never cobble weld a carrier onto a box, it would be bolted,

second picture is Similar to the L, R, S, one, the configuration of it wouldn't bolt to a KB box without bending it up, I don't know what it originally came off of,

IHC DID use a box side carrier for L, R, S, trucks as well as a under frame option, the L, R, S, ones were more of a formed heavy gauge sheet metal like in the pic Nikki posted rather than strap iron like in photos,

KB trucks carried their spare under the frame at rear, you May see remnants of it on your truck,

Every K, KB I've owned or seen had the under frame carrier,

the factory parts book Only lists the under frame carrier for K, KB 1 ,2 & 3, there is no reference to a box side carrier,

I'm not saying there aren't trucks with side mount spares, they certainly could have been added by dealer or installed after the fact,

*Disclaimer, my parts book is from mid production, it is possible KB had the option of a box side carrier, but all of the 6 KB pickups I've owned all had the under frame one
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:23 pm

EDIT to above post: second picture has been ID as being for D series International with the early style bed, see picture, D trucks Did have factory pickup box side spares,

K, KB parts book still only lists under frame for K, KB-1, 2, 3,

you Could use the D spare tire mount, but you'd have to bend it up to fit a K box
Attachments
D pickup.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 pm

OK, awesome info. Yes mine does have the frame bar for under bed spare (missing tire holder). I'm basically doing the spare on the bed for looks, I have always liked that look and I just think it will help on the looks of mine, since I have a long bed (125") It just makes your eye see a shorter bed by masking a bit of it. That's was the plan. I was going to have to build from scratch and was going to bolt on.

But now I may want to try to do it with Photoshop first to make **** sure I like it. My attempt at bodywork and painting has given me a deep respect for those that are good at it. It's a lot of work...! What are your thoughts, you think it would look weird?

Oh and I was thinking driver's side just because the truck is viewed more on the left sided than right while driving etc. Thanks J.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Spare tires are ugly. Put it out of sight, under the bed. Try your hand at building a fitted custom canopy . I did, it was lots of measuring, but otherwise easy enough. I had to borrow a friend's 10 foot brake to form some of the bends. The brake was mine until he bought it from me. I bought the side glass from a canopy recycling business. The rear opening door was made from a piece of LEXAN mounted with marine stainless hardware.
Attachments
R120 in 1991 (2).jpg
Dad's Funeral day.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:31 pm

I gots one of dese Ds in my garage. Why aren't I driving it?
I never noticed that K didn't have a bed-mounted spare. It must be that my K series arrived without spare tires OR mounts.
SO funny that BRJ has to ask for a non-flame zone.
Attachments
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:58 am

I don't mind getting flamed. Just think, I got to go swimming this summer. Flaming has been around for a couple thousand years. It was the pagan way to rid society of someone that was determined to be a threat mostly because of not understanding and resisting change by chucking the person on a pyre. I get the impression that flaming originates with the illiterate and generally stupid.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:46 am

Monsonmotors wrote:I gots one of dese Ds in my garage. Why aren't I driving it?
I never noticed that K didn't have a bed-mounted spare. It must be that my K series arrived without spare tires OR mounts.
SO funny that BRJ has to ask for a non-flame zone.

is that your truck? nice, please let me know if you ever decide to sell it, only thing I like flame grilled are burgers

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Well I think I figured out using old school Photoshop.
DSC_7507-min.JPG

For one, the tire on left side cover gas tank access, also never came with one, and after looking I think it's going to look OK. This truck is long, BUT it looks proportional.
Think I'll keep it under. Disregard green fender, it's one of my two extra ones.
Next

Return to K and KB