Little help with spare mount

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Little help with spare mount

This is what mine came with, I'd say it is a universal style, based on the multiple lug patterns you could choose for your application. Perhaps you could gauge location to what you need.
Attachments
IMG_9789.jpg
IMG_9875.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:38 pm

yea, I'd say that was aftermarket, looks pretty similar to the L, R, S, ones from the 1950s
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Ah man, that looks good. Now you got me re-thinking it... :t0129:
May have to do it later. Looks like a cleaner mount anyway and it doesn't look like it gets to get too close to tank filler.
Also it looks great on your truck with the extra chrome and two tone paint. You nailed the idea though, at a glance you would think it was a short bed.
Mine is a 46 K-1, one little hood badge and a chrome bumper. I'm planing on going all red with black running boards, no white walls (stock rims and hubcaps).
K-1's just doesn't have the "bling" to pull of white walls too well.

Hey MACGIVER, I think, I remember finding a post on how you repaired your tailgate, but I think the pics have timed out. Mine has a badly bend top and rotted bottom. Is it possible to get those pics of how you welded that tube steel to bottom of gate. I'm probably going to have do the same. Was wondering how you got that flat piece to weld to pipe to mimic the slip roll. Thanks J.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Yeah J, that tailgate repair wasn't me. I remember that too, I have to think who that was now, probably been a couple of years. My gate was bent but not rusted through. I like your plan on blackwalls too. It "fits" that look, IMO.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Mount it below box rail so tire does not stick out so far. Took me a whole afternoon to get it just right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137744381 ... ed-public/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:12 am

Yours looks good like that, since it has a custom look. I would like mine higher for the "old truck" look.
I'm knee deep in sanding hell on the bed so I may put hat off a bit, now. I want to get this thing is primer and attack the tailgate issues...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Wylie wrote:Yours looks good like that, since it has a custom look. I would like mine higher for the "old truck" look.
I'm knee deep in sanding hell on the bed so I may put hat off a bit, now. I want to get this thing is primer and attack the tailgate issues...

I walked into wheel when it was in stock position where its a obstacle which is why I mounted the wheel in as close as possible. I have not walked into the wheel since. I do have the original under bed carrier but was not sure if i was mounting a gas tank in that area, I did not. Opted to repop gas tank for original location.
I like that the wheel fills the gap. I filled gap on other side with a vintage tool box from another K model.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:27 pm

your truck always looks great, you did a fantastic job on it, what size wheels are you running, I wonder if a full 700-16 stock wheel would fit in tight like that?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Previous

Return to K and KB