Tires

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Tires

Wanting to know whether I should go with original bias ply tires or use radials on my 1941 K2? It has the original frame/supension and engine :? ? Let me know if you have experience with this.

Thanks

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Re: Tires

Not a lot of experience here, but do a check on the cost of the Bias ply as opposed to the radials that would be a cross for them. Some people put the radials on their original rims, for me, that might give a smoother ride. How often are you going to drive the truck, what kind of loads are you going to put on it(if any). Just my thoughts.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm

I guess the 1st question that needs to be answered is how many miles do you put on annually? The general concensous is that bias tires hold up better over time then radials. 8 years on radials and you are borrowed time, bias tend to last longer. Rubber gets hard and tends to chunk-out when it hits an obstacal when it gets old.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:47 am

Well...in my opinion, if you want your truck to look as original as it apparently is - then you should put factory-spec nylon tires on it. You won't find a radial tire size that will even come close to looking 'original', even on the original rims. I am planning on using bias tires on mine once I get it road worthy.

It would be great if someone could post up some pictures of these trucks with various types and sizes of tires on them - on original style wheels. I don't know it for a fact, but I'm guessing the original tire size on my KB-2 woulda been about a 6.50 x 16....am I close?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:17 pm

I tend to think it would depend on whether you want to look at or drive it. if you want to look at it then bias ply should be okay. if you want to drive it, the truck will handle and ride much better with radials.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:17 pm

So, how about this Idea. Radials on Wheels that will fit for the Fun in the Sun times and a set of Stock Wheels and Bias ply for Show!
Of Course this requires Lots of Money!
Just suggesting.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm

HOLY COW!

I finally got word back from the mechanic at the shop I drive at (I drive school bus and we had some "extra" 9.00x20's that we no longer have buses to go with), and he came up with a price... This for 4 rear and 3 front tires... How about... $5 each! Yup - $35 total for all 7 tires! He was going to give them to me, but the school requires paperwork and a cash transaction, so there had to be a token exchange of money, and the boss came up with the $5 figure.

I'm paying for them tomorrow and will start hauling them home for my KB-6 in the next few days. All but one front are used, but are in fantastic shape. I feel like I hit the lottery!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:37 pm

moose97 wrote:HOLY COW!

I finally got word back from the mechanic at the shop I drive at (I drive school bus and we had some "extra" 9.00x20's that we no longer have buses to go with), and he came up with a price... This for 4 rear and 3 front tires... How about... $5 each! Yup - $35 total for all 7 tires! He was going to give them to me, but the school requires paperwork and a cash transaction, so there had to be a token exchange of money, and the boss came up with the $5 figure.

I'm paying for them tomorrow and will start hauling them home for my KB-6 in the next few days. All but one front are used, but are in fantastic shape. I feel like I hit the lottery!

Way Good Deal! Basically you are paying them to dispose of them at the "landfill" which happens to be your place for these particular tires. Glad You Found them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm

sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. expecially it is saves you some cash.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:29 pm

At $5.00 a piece the choice is made,,I would never own a bias tire,,,last set came off my 68 Pontiac in the 80's and even those should never have found their way onto the car...they were some sort of original wide oval junk..road like a shopping cart and got flat spots in the very cold weather
Next

Return to K and KB