WTB Door Check Strap

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:14 pm

WTB Door Check Strap

Hi all. Does anyone have a door check strap they would be willing to sell? It would be for 1941 K3 cab. I would even take 2 if available. I have one currently but its not in the best of shape.
Please let me know.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: WTB Door Check Strap

I am not familiar with any K truck stuff. You say strap. Is this a leather strap or something more like a metal door stop rod? If it is a simple leather strap, as you post suggests, maybe you could buy some leather harness material at a local tac shop and make your own. Anything used will be as old as the truck you have. It is very likely that any used part will be worn and near the end of it's service life.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Its a flat(ish) piece of metal with a rubber stop on one end. It extends into the door and is fastened to the door frame by a pin. When the door opens the strap slides out of the doir and the rubber stop hits the inside of the door and keeps the door from opening further.
If needed i could fab one up from some metal but not having all the needed metal working tools would be very labor intensive for me.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 pm

IIRC Restoration Specialties sells them for various makes, there might be something there you can use.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:15 pm

I did find something from them in an old catalog but it wasnt close and then when I looked at the website today they dont list any door straps. So it was a good idea but a no go I think.
Freemnan Dyson

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:34 pm

paulitools: I think this part is available from Old internationals trucks, Lethbridge, Alberta. Unfortunately their website is down as I write this.
See http://www.oldinternationaltrucks.ca . Part is a door check arm, RSCLP4210. Ask if it will fit a K series. $11.00.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:23 pm

I have an extra set of that style of door-checks. I bought them from Bob Drake reproductions in Grants Pass Oregon. I bought and installed second set of Stainless Steel door-checks.
https://www.bobdrake.com/Categories3.as ... sandstraps
This extra set of two are going on a large Job-Box lid to harness the tip-back.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 am

Thanks for all the good info. I will do my research and see if something will work. At the very least it looks like I can get the rubber stopper and make my own metal arm.
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:50 pm

The door stop is all of a few minutes to make and it will be better than the white metal door stops late model ford truck customers are breaking and constantly replacing.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:53 pm

I pulled mine out tonight and I must have been thinking of something else. Its not as complex as I was thinking.
I might give it a shot this weekend if time permits.
Freemnan Dyson
Next

Return to K and KB