WTB Door Check Strap

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: WTB Door Check Strap

So I ended up purchasing a pair of check straps from Macs. They had a slight bend in them as opposed to the completely straight version our trucks used. They worked just fine. The rubber and washer are a direct fit for our OEM check straps if you want new rubber only.
Next question is does anybody have any info on the pin that connects the strap to the cab? My strap had no pin installed so I have nothing to compare against. I used a couple of 8-32 screws for the time being but I cant believe this what the factory used.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:00 pm

the pin is a rivet like thing, has flat round top, and bottom has sort of a hollowed out center, it is inserted then flared similar to a rivet,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:19 am

Well thats a surprise. I would not have thought it was a permanent thing. I was expecting more like a hinge pin thing.
Based upon that info I guess I am off to the web to do a bit of research.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 am

If you could find a pin the right diameter and length with a grove for a C clip it would look correct.
Im sure the pin Jon describes is a type of pressed in part that you wont find unless somones reproducing it.
Find the right diameter pin and have somone with a lathe cut a grove for a c clip. Tractor Supply has small pins but I think !/4 inch is their minimum size.
If you have access to a small lathe make one.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:46 am

I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:54 am

original pin is a "permanent" thing, in being you have to punch bottom flare in or file it off to remove pin,

I've taken a lot of these off thru the years, if you are careful and semi gentle it can be reused,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Previous

Return to K and KB