1941 KS 5

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

1941 KS 5

Or at least I think it is!

Sorry to be the new guy asking for help but it is what it is. After some digging here I have retrieved frame and engine numbers, checked the Wisconsin Historical Serial number list and found other documents including K 5 and engine spec sheets.

As nearly as I can determine I have a 1941 KS 5 with a Green Diamond 233 in it. Before I stick anything into it I want to see about obtaining a title. Not usually to difficult here in MN but the more info you have the better off you are. I would like to recreate a VIN tag, I think I know which one I need but if one of you has a K 5 and can most a pic of the tag I would appreciate it. The spec sheet I found had all the other info. Axle weights, wheel base, everything.

Next question, I have searched diligently. Found a bunch of stuff, I can find nowhere any info that describes the difference between a K 5 and a KS 5. Several models show the 'S' but none of the info tells me what is the difference. Do one of you gents have a hint for me?

She looks rough but is mostly unmolested, and the cab is fairly solid. There are some small rush holes, but it really is fairly solid. Still has original air filter, horn and hub caps! Working to see if I can un-stick the engine. Oil looks good, rings probably stuck from decades of sitting.

I am looking to end up with a running driving survivor. I will probably have to paint it as it has been painted at least once and has no OEM showing through the patina.

small 1.jpg

Thanks!
Dave

PJ3

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Re: 1941 KS 5

S usually means two speed rear end.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Thank you. Frame is stamped KS5 but it does not have the 2 speed. And the dif that is in there has been there very long time. I'll have a look and see if I can see where the control might have been.

On the positive, I got the broken off spark plug removed and the engine unstuck. Engine broke free real easy, My guess is the rings were just stuck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 am

Bigbore4 wrote:On the positive, I got the broken off spark plug removed and the engine unstuck. Engine broke free real easy, My guess is the rings were just stuck.

That's good to hear- sounds like progress!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:44 pm

The 2-speed rear was operated by vacuum and there would have been a pull knob - most likely on the trans shifter so you could "split" the gears. I had an older Chevy box truck (I think a C50) with a 292CI 6cyl and a 4-speed with the 2-speed rear. It was a former farm truck. Also drove an older GMC tractor (big truck) with a Detroit diesel, 5-speed, and 2-speed rear end. So if you want to go that route, suppose you could source something to work for you.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Former professional HD Truck Mechanic here. The vacuum shift 2 speeds usually had a small valve dash mounted. The electric shift had the push pull on the shifter.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 pm

KB two speed vacuum control is stick shift mounted,

I know I have one in my driveway and owned 3 others,

And factory parts book lists shifter mounted control,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 pm

^^^^ Yep, a cable on the stick for the K's. Big trucks with air can have full air knob shift (looks like and old 13 speed knob, but the hoses and ports are bigger) or electric over air, which uses the same switch the lighter electric shift two speeds use. My Marmon has the electric over air, 2 spds.
Cable ran to a vacuum valve on the engine side of the firewall. Most cables had a T handle at the stick end. Both my -7's are this way
BTW for most IHC models:
S- two speed rear
T- tag axle
F- full driven tandem
R- double reduction rears.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Bigbore4 wrote:Former professional HD Truck Mechanic here. The vacuum shift 2 speeds usually had a small valve dash mounted. The electric shift had the push pull on the shifter.

You might be confusing this with some early "deep reduction" 15 spd's they had a dash mounted control, but later switch to shifter mounted.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 am

I have been searching for a parts catalog or breakdown. That would be helpful!

Who knows what happened in 1941, things were a bit hectic I am sure. My guess is they were slamming trucks together as fast as they could.

Is there anywhere to get the actual information for that serial number? Does IH have a historical department? All I have found is the serial number list that tells me it is a 1941 build.
Next

Return to K and KB