Steering Column Height?

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Steering Column Height?

1948 KB5 box truck. Question about my steering column. It seems to be at a low angle which makes getting under it and out from under it very difficult. I am 6'4", and even with the seat all the way back, very little room. The seat pedestal is not very high and sitting in the seat feels like sitting on the floor with my legs wrapped around my ears and you don't sit very high to look out the windshield. The gas filler neck is under the bottom seat cushion which has to be removed to add gas - this is factory, but the seat cushion itself may not be at all. (FYI, the doors have no outside door handle and must be opened from the inside. They do have outside locks - again factory.)

I enclosed a pic of a steering column found in a 1948 pickup truck I got online. It appears that the spacer block which the steering column is bolted to and is seen under the dash, is shorter than my KB5? It would make sense that the shorter spacer block would bring the steering column closer to the dash and put a steeper upward angle on the steering column. You can see the 3 pics on my steering column to compare.

I crawled under my truck and I see 3 bolts holding the steering box to the frame. Is it possible that the steering column/box is adjustable, ie the frame is slotted to reposition the steering box/column upward and then a shorter spacer block could be used in attaching the steering column to the lower dash? Could the frame be slotted if I wanted to to do this and not affect steering linkages or cause any binding?

Are there different steering boxes/columns and perhaps mine may have been swapped out at some point by a previous owner?

Any options?
Attachments
1948 KB steering column.jpg
dscn7255.jpg
dscn7253.jpg
dscn7254.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Steering Column Height?

It looks like the steering drop/clamp could be shortened and that should bring the column closer to the dash. There may be just enough "play" in the steering box mounting so you could loosen the mounting bolts, raise the steering wheel then re-tighten the steering box mounts.
If this were my truck. I would be measuring it for a tilt Saginaw steering column from a 1977 Chevy/GM van. I installed a Saginaw tilt in our R120, I have a Saginaw tilt in our Ford. My son's L110 is getting one and I have several more in stock and one of these will go into my Orrville Crew-cab. If you are having some feelings of keeping your IHC truck all IHC, the IHC Scout used the Saginaw steering columns with the key in the column and no shift on the column. I bought a Scout tilt from http://scoutpluss.com/ This Scout tilt is for my IHC crewcab because I bought an NVG4500 to go behind a Cummins 24 valve.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 am

Trying to keep it original at this point, but a tilt column would be the way to go. I don't know that a passenger car tilt would work as my manual says the steering shaft column is 7/8" in diameter and I am sure a passenger car would be smaller. Maybe a tilt column out of a contemporary Class 7/8 big truck or box truck might work. My Kenworth has tilt and other trucks I have driven had tilt while a Peterbilt I owned had a tilt and telescoping column. Might be something to look into and then I might be able to use a coupler to adapt the two together.

I'll look at moving the original column upward first as this would be less work, then if I can't accomplish what I want, I will look into other options.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:56 pm

The steering column is at the "nexus" of so many things. Steering, clutch, brakes (don't forget M/Cs and booster if you're converting).
Your hands have to be able to grasp the wheel and still have room to clear as you turn the wheel.
I've "melded" several Japanese columns/ steering boxes via a frame swap and have come up with an overall plan to attach.
The smaller steering wheel would certainly help your situation. A smaller wheel will require a different steering box/ power steering/ rack and pinion.
What is the future of your truck? Will it remain stock? Will you update or hot rod?
There is a rebel bunch here who have retrofitted rack and pinion onto their trucks. The r&p is bolted to the front axle, not the frame. It's controversial but they swear by it.
My point is that your solution (whatever it is) will very likely include modificications and adjustments outside the cab that you haven't counted on.
Best of luck!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Not going to do any "hot rod" fabrication or mods on the truck at this point. Looking at it as an original survivor with a specific past as a purpose built vehicle by the York-Hoover Corporation for the Railroad Express Agency in 1948. So the historical aspect is better left as original as possible, at least at this time. The truck is to be used as an advertising billboard for my brother's railroad enterprise. It will not see a lot of miles and be used for special events and probably a few car shows. My brother also has a drop deck trailer which it can be loaded on to for longer distance events.
Attachments
02 dinner train.jpg
01 dinner train.jpg
IMG951269.jpg
Ice Cream Train Interior.jpg
1956 Budd Car.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Some guy's never outgrow playing with trains... they just get bigger and bigger sets! I remember the Buddliners from my youth. Have a Detroit 6-110 for power.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:38 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Some guy's never outgrow playing with trains... they just get bigger and bigger sets! I remember the Buddliners from my youth. Have a Detroit 6-110 for power.

You are correct! We grew up with a nice train set/layout in the basement. My brother began his career as a volunteer on a dinner train and eventually purchased a switching yard and the dinner train he first worked at. He has 2 of the Budd cars, 1956. Both running, but refurbed and updated I think he said in the 80's. They came from Canada. I don't think it has the Detroit anymore, as I recall it was something foreign like an Isuzu hanging underneath, but can't recall. He lets me "play" trains when I go visit him.

He added 3 of the former Ringling Bros. cars as they went out of business, the small 25-ton switcher, and got his inspection car finished. He's got a bunch of other "toys" as well - he's living the dream and doesn't go to work, he goes to play! LOL
Attachments
Picture0713171238_1.jpg
Picture0713171239_1.jpg
Picture0713171240_1(1).jpg

Return to K and KB