1948 KB5 - What is it?

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 am

1948 KB5 - What is it?

OK, what is it? Can't find anything in the Service manual that even looks like this. This is bolted directly underneath the voltage regulator on the firewall. Look original, but........

It is a hydraulic/brake fluid tank of some kind with a screw cap on top like a master brake cylinder. It has a short hard steel line which connects to a flexible rubber hydraulic line. It too is short in length. Here is the odd thing. The end of the hydraulic line has what I can only describe as a round, open in the center, ring about 2" - 2 1/2" in diameter. it looks more like a collar of some sort. It hangs right were the steering box is and does not look like it attaches to anything. Maybe someone just stuck the ring end into the hydraulic hose to cap it off because it fit and was convenient - I don't know.

So any guesses?????
Attachments
dscn7248.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Re: 1948 KB5 - What is it?

RESERVOIR.
Filling M/C reservoirs on these old things can be difficult. This more accessible reservoir makes sure it gets checked.
Old, though.
My guess...
It isn't P/S fluid. Or trans fluid. Or radiator fluid. Nor gasoline.
Could be blinker fluid but this model didn't come with T/Signals.
:)
Brake fluid. Something with brakes. Reservoir is most likely.
I've never seen one like that. Usually tin bottles?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm

It sure looks like something original to the truck rather than a later add-on, but it could have been and additional brake fluid reservoir where the fluid could be checked and added much easier from that point as opposed to the master cylinder down on the frame. It appears as the MC has been changed out, so perhaps this was added by the Railroad Express Agency (REA) shop that serviced the trucks and they modified the MC fluid reservoir cap.

My truck does have a 6-volt turn signal system added to it. It was most likely added when the Hoover-York truck body was built as the box body has additional tail lamps factory installed at the top of the box both front & rear. The wiring is of the cloth covered type. The photo shows the turn signal selector, has a single illuminated red light to indicate the "blinker" was blinking, the junction box for the wiring/lights, and a flasher unit under the dash.

The Model A rear lights were added by a previous owner.
Attachments
dscn7251.jpg
dscn7249.jpg
dscn7258.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:50 pm

The cap sure looks like an old M/C cap. Maybe a clue?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 am

probably a remote reservoir for an old master cylinder that is long gone,

I was thinking a micro lock E brake while reading, but picture doesn't jive, I'm certain not factory, but could've been part of a carriage Co. idea to make brakes easier to maintain

let's see the other end on line
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:57 am

Attachments
image.jpg
Wagner. Not the opera guy, either.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:08 am

Attachments
image.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:Yeah. What I said. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wagner-Brake-Cy ... DS&vxp=mtr

Yep, that looks like it alright. Thanks for the ID. Never saw one before, but never worked on any 1940's vintage car/truck either. I think I may have the original MC in a box of parts that came with the truck. I will have to check when I get a chance. I will also take a better look at the end and try to figure out what the metal "O" ring is at the base. Almost looks like a row boat oar lock looking at its shape. I'll have to figure out how it hooks up to the MC.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:27 pm

Just an update. I do have the original master cylinder in a box of parts that came with the truck. Looking at it, the MC fill plug is raised, versus flush, and there is a small hole in the plug on the side. That round ring on the end of the brake hose fits around the MC plug which has a lip on its top so that it appears to clamp the ring down and sandwich it between the top of the MC (where the usual fill plug is) and the lip on the taller MC plug with the side hole in it. In this way, it seals the MC but allows it to be filled via the brake reservoir tank on the firewall with the brake fluid going down the steel line to the flexible brake hose and through the small hole in the side of the raised MC plug to keep the MC filled.

It obviously is a complete "kit" that would include the brake reservoir tank, steel brake line, rubber brake line to make the tight 90 degree turn to the top of the MC, the special ring/fitting, and the taller MC plug with the hole in the side. Can't tell at this time if any gaskets or O-rings seal are used down at the MC plug.

I will eventually post pictures of it, and that should wrap it up. Don't know if I can get it to go back on my current MC, but I will see if it will work and hook it up if it does. Much more convenient way of checking/filling the MC due to its location down on the frame and right behind the steering box - not much room.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:17 pm

OK, took off the brake fluid reservoir found on the firewall of the KB5. Took pictures so as to wrap up this thread. The 1st picture is the reservoir tank, hard brake line which then goes to a flexible hydraulic line, the fluid transfer ring, and the master cylinder with the modified fill cap.

2nd pic is the original MC fitted to the KB5. You can see the special fill cap is raised up to accommodate the thickness of the brake fluid supply ring which fits between the MC top and under the shelf of the special cap. It also is slightly smaller than the ring so brake fluid can be transferred. The fill plug gets tightened down on the brake fluid supply ring to seal the ring. You can see a small hole in the left of the MC cap where the brake fluid from the reservoir enters.

3rd pic is the brake fluid supply ring set atop of the MC cap. Right now the fill hole in the ring is gunked up.

4th pic is after I cleaned it up a bit for photographing. You can see the hole that supplies the brake fluid from the reservoir which enters the small hole in the MC cap to keep the fluid level in the MC full. The hydraulic line is used to make the bend from the straight hard line of the reservoir to the top of the MC where the ring is fitted.

The only reason I can see using this set-up is that it makes it much easier to fill/check the brake fluid level and ensures the MC is always full by providing the extra brake fluid capacity.

I am hoping to get the MC rebuilt and then reuse the brake fluid reservoir and install new lines.
Attachments
01  Original MC, Brake Fluid Reservoir, Fluid Line & End.jpg
02  Top of MC with Adapter.jpg
03  The Ring which fits around MC Top.jpg
04  Hole in Ring to Supply MC.jpg

Return to K and KB