Intro and KB2

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 am

Re: Intro and KB2

I just looked again and you have a chrome windshield frame.
Plus the "optional" passenger side wiper.

Are you by chance in Canada or could the truck have come from Canada?
IHC had a factory in Canada and the trucks had some differences compared to US trucks.

Kind of a rare thing and I may be wrong but have read that was only used on Canadian trucks?

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 am

Chrome window frame is cool. Look for the light ring on the ground.

You will need 4.5" bolt pattern 5 bolt wheels (Ford/Dodge). These should fit the hubs.

If you visit the truck and cannot haul it home, remove the crap from the bed. It just helps to promote rust. I'd clean it out as best as you can. My truck was in a barn full of stuff but inside really helps.

Nice start.

I have both a chrome windshield frame and passenger side wiper. Pics are in the mod sub forum or the car show forum.
Last edited by rick on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:42 pm

1949 \KB-3 wrote:I just looked again and you have a chrome windshield frame.
Plus the "optional" passenger side wiper.

Are you by chance in Canada or could the truck have come from Canada?
IHC had a factory in Canada and the trucks had some differences compared to US trucks.

Kind of a rare thing and I may be wrong but have read that was only used on Canadian trucks?

I have a Canadian '42 K2. It has chrome windshield frame. It has drivers side wiper. No hole was ever punched for wiper on passenger side.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:47 pm

The truck is Canadian, was built in Hamilton On and resides in Saskatchewan. I've given it a lot of thought and decided to delay until next summer. It's a lot wetter where I am in Ontario, which will be that much harder on it. I doubt I'd get much work on it this year winter anyways and I don't yet have a place to put it inside. So it's better off where it is for now, it's not going anywhere. I'll still be reading through this site to get a good idea what I'll be getting into. Invaluable information here!

It appears that some of the chrome bits have been removed. The front hood piece, the driver's side headlight are the man ones.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:20 am

Keep an eye on EBay. I was missing the "International" on one side of my hood. Got a decent used one for $35.
Parts are out there but just not very common.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:37 am

Just got back from a 2 week trip to Sask as my father was in the hospital - he's OK now! While there, I jacked up the KB, found some crap tires to bolt on and towed it the 4 miles to my dad's farmyard. Was a pretty cool ride, had to stand on the sideboard as it was very dusty on the gravel road and there's no seat. Steering was tight - less slop than my daily driver. Engine is seized, so I pulled it and the tranny, and brought that with the rad, front axle, exhaust, gauge set and master cylinder home to Ontario. Some winter projects! I also had it registered in my name, and it's now plated and insured! Interesting things:

15 inch rims with a 3 1/2" offset fit fine. With a 4" offset, the rim rubs the end of the tiebar on the front axle. Could these be different hubs on a Canadian truck?? They're original I'm sure.

The last plate on it was from 1961. Seems odd it wasn't driven or at least plated longer. I'll crack open the odometer later to see if the numbers are visible from the back.

No problems undoing bolts. Did break off the rear sparkplug. I'll probably have to pull the head anyways, but I have a good machine shop and can remove the remainder too, if the head doesn't have to come off. Even the brake lines came off nicely! A bit of rusted out areas in the floorboards under the cab driver's corner and the passengers front corner, and along the back cab wall where it joins to the floor. A few other spots, but mainly very good. Here's some pics:
Attachments
IHCs.JPG
2 x IHCs
KBloaded.JPG
KBeng.JPG
KBnoEng.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Good luck with your truck! Looks like you are off to a great start. Looks good parked next to the 66 series 4wd tractor.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:57 pm

As my engine is seized, I started taking it apart the other day. Pulled the head, some crud - carbon rust etc in the cylinders and ports. I found one broken intake valve. So now I know why the truck was parked in 1961! I still need to find or build a stand for the block, then I'll take the rest apart to see whether or not the engine can be economically salvaged. It may be smarter to find a running engine, given the price and scarcity of parts. Yes, I saw the post of the engine in Idaho, but that's a long way away!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 pm

That is really not all that far. Wonder if it could go on a pallet using the Fastenal shipping? I know that one of the fellows in my area(nampa) ships motors with them often. Just a thought if you can not find one closer.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:31 am

waynes wrote:As my engine is seized, I started taking it apart the other day. Pulled the head, some crud - carbon rust etc in the cylinders and ports. I found one broken intake valve. So now I know why the truck was parked in 1961! I still need to find or build a stand for the block, then I'll take the rest apart to see whether or not the engine can be economically salvaged. It may be smarter to find a running engine, given the price and scarcity of parts. Yes, I saw the post of the engine in Idaho, but that's a long way away!

keep an eye on craigslist, guys are yanking these motors all the time it seems,

also if someone is parting a K, KB-5 the GRD-233 is exactly the same dimension as your 214,

basically the same block, different bore and stroke gets you 19 more cubic inches of "power"

I put a 233 in my KB-1 pickum up after the 214 got too tired after second rebuild,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB