Intro and KB2

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 am

Intro and KB2

KB2 1.JPG
Good morning and nice to find this board!

I'm planning on picking up a KB2 in a couple of weeks from my dad - it's been sitting for 45 years on land he bought about 15 yrs ago. It's about 2000 miles away, but I'll visit family while I'm there. It is relatively intact, missing the tailgate and the seat. Lots of surface rust, didn't see any holes from rust though. General idea is to make it drivable first, maybe drive it for a few summers and start a restoration at some point in the future. Not looking for a show truck - shows aren't my thing. I have a well equipped machine shop and mechanical skills, but I've done very little body work. Will be lots to learn! Need to rent a trailer, and find some 16" mini-spares to on put on for loading. I love the looks of it, not totally convinced I'll get to it. But it will be safe here until I decide. Anyways, I'll try and add some pics - tell me if you think this is too far gone or not! Wayne
Attachments
KB2 5.JPG
KB2 4.JPG
KB2 3.JPG
KB2 2.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 am

Re: Intro and KB2

looks solid enough, to me condition of the metal is way more important than mechanical condition when looking to purchase,

I'm good with a wrench, not so much with body hammers,

you should read the build off and custom KB posts, it'll give you an idea of what you will be up against, restoration of original or update the running gear, pros and cons to both.

my usual plan of attack is complete brake rebuild Before messing with engine, doesn't do you any good to go if you can't stop, but that's just me,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:49 pm

That looks like a good truck. Very good restoration candidate, looks like most is there. Good luck, this forum has most all question answered! Very knowledgeable people here who know these trucks inside and out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Looks to me like you'll also need to secure a chain saw to remove the trees that are very close to the truck. Hopefully, they are not growing through the frame and harmed the body parts. Otherwise looks like a viable candidate to put back on the road after some attention to some things!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:39 am

You have the original horn and air cleaner which shows that the truck has not been robbed or fixed or messed with too much. It most likely it was just parked. Even that steering wheel looks uncracked?

Do you have a title?
Is the glass any good?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Congrats on your neat find! Looks to be in better shape than mine was when I found it. My frame was gone and I had to buy another donor cab to cut parts out of. Enjoy learning the different trades you will need to restore it. They will come in handy for the rest of your life. Don't set a completion date...it wouldn't be even close anyway. lol
Bob
A couple of pics of mine as found and doors finally installed today 4 years later.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Glad to hear you guys don't think it's a lost cause! I thought it was in pretty reasonable condition and worth fixing. There's no wheels on it and it's been sitting on the ground. Fortunately in a pretty dry climate, so I'm just hoping there's not too much rust underneath. Pretty sure the trees haven't caused any damage, the only robbed parts I'm aware of are the seat and some of the chrome around the hood. Box floor is quite dented, but otherwise very few dents anywhere. Driver's glass needs to be replaced, not sure about the driver door glass, the rest is fine. Yeah, long term project! I'm not even a car guy, but I do like spending time in my shop. Here's a few more pics. I plan on heading out to get it early Sept, so by mid Sept it should be here and I'll post a few more pics then. Time to start finding a trailer and some temporary wheels. Looking forward to picking your brains and studying up on the previous posts!

Wayne
Attachments
KB2 6.JPG
KB2 7.JPG
KB2 8.JPG
KB2 9.JPG

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Even if a dry climate, the hubs could be Locked tight to the brake shoes, just be aware. If you can get it up off the ground and make sure they roll before the move, it might benefit you. If they do move, great. If no move, you might look to having available some moving dolly wheel sets, Might be able to rent rather than buy. Just some thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:58 am

100_2465.jpg
Looks about the same condition I got my '41. I see you are missing a headlight bezel. There are some on eBay for $900.00 :lol: Keep an eye out for those, you should be able to locate one a bit cheaper here.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:46 am

It looks like a great project!
Next

Return to K and KB