Intro and KB2

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Re: Intro and KB2

Where about in Ontario. I see running green diamonds occasionally and usually around $300. Local fellow had a seized green diamond that with some patience got up and running without a rebuild. It was tedious as I followed the process.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm in Trenton, 2 hrs east of Toronto. I'm sure there's a few around. I'll finish stripping this engine down and see what kind of shape its in. I'll be going back to Sask in the spring or summer to get the rest of the truck, so could pick something up enroute if there's one available. Would have liked to have the engine running by the time I have the rest of the truck here!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Towed my KB2 home a couple weeks ago. Was back to Sask for a wedding where the truck was sitting, and built a hitch and swapped in a Cherokee axle for 1700 mile the tow home. Didn't think the 5.11 rear end on it would survive 70 mph down the highway and wanted a better ratio anyways. My brother had a scrapped Cherokee with the right bolt pattern for the wheels and a 3.54 ratio axle. It's an inch wider than the stock and built a whole lot lighter, but made for highway speeds. Built some spring mounts, bolted it in, then fabbed up a hitch. Overkill, but had the 4x8 H beam in the scrapyard. I had already brought the engine and front axle last fall, so towed it like a trailer.

Also pushed out the last piston which was seized. After 6 months of soaking in diesel, it didn't take too much pressure to get it moving, but still needed the press. Made a plastic disk to distribute the pressure, then a pipe under the jack. Pics below. Oh - magnetic mount tail lights, safety chains, strapped down the hood - towed like a dream! Got quite a few looks and thumbs up. :) Now I just need to clear out enough space in the shop!
Attachments
towedhome.jpg
After 1700 mile tow, home!
KB_cherokee_axle.JPG
Cherokee axle installed
tow bar.JPG
Light duty hitch
pistonpress.jpg
Pressing out the seized piston

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Creative use of what you had. Your "light duty" hitch probably weighs more than half as much as your entire frame. :lol:

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Yes, that beam was a bit on the heavy side - far stronger than the frame it's bolted to.

While I was out in dad's scrap yard, I checked a silver diamond engine from an IHC truck - it's 2 inches longer than the green diamond. So was the slightly newer but very similar looking engine in a 403 IHC combine. And the 560 and 660 IHC diesel tractors also had a very similar 29 1/2" long block, though I know they don't bolt to the same bell housing as the silver diamond. The diesel crank is something like 3/8" lower. About 20 years ago, I helped my dad mate the IHC truck bellhousing to a 660 diesel to put in a chevy truck.

What model is this truck, anyways?? I grew up taking apart everything I could …. wish I hadn't now!
Attachments
ihc.JPG
What model |IHC?
SilverDiamond2.jpg
silver diamond block, 29 1/2"

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:48 pm

That is an L truck, 1950-52, can not see the frame notch, is it deep or shallow? If Shallow, that would be a larger L truck, If Deep, the pickup.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:23 am

The truck pictured is an L model. L models are ‘50-‘52. The one in the photo has visible or external door hinges. Likely, it’s a ‘51 or ‘52. ‘50’s had hidden hinges not visible with the door closed.
Silver Diamond engines were standard gasoline engines in L models, typically 220 cubic inch size, overhead valve. Green Diamond were standard engines in K and KB models, typically 213 cubic inch size, flat head.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:30 pm

I found the engine in my KB2 had significant corrosion inside. Not sure why given the carb and aircleaner was on, the hood down in relatively dry Sask. I've been looking on and off for another engine, found another one a month ago, seized but cheap in my local town. I'll see if I can free it up.

Just got back from another trip to Sask and while out for a drive, thought I recognized a grill in a yard. Stopped in and chatted with the guy who had a very nice KB5. Ran it until a couple years ago, no rust holes at all, almost no dents, pristine grill and all the other parts my KB2 is missing. After a few days mulling, I bought it. It needs brake work, tires, windows, and fuel tank repair to get it going. 00 Not sure at this point whether I'll use the parts for my KB2 or try and make both operational. But it would be a pretty quick job to swap engine and body I think, to get a working KB2 for now. I won't likely get the KB5 moved the 2700km east this year, so I've some time to consider it. Pics below!
Attachments
KB5 Grill.jpg
Shiny bits
KB5side.jpg
Minor dents on hood and roof
kb5s.jpeg
KB5 grain truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:02 pm

For future reference, the rear end will be fine if the driveshaft is removed, the pinion will be spinning fast but there will be no load. If you pulling a heavier truck and worried about it, pull the axle shafts and make a cover to keep the grease in the bearings.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:43 pm

remember KB-5 fenders have bigger wheel well cut outs than your KB-2, they bolt right on, but are different,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB