Fuel Sending Unit, KB-2/3

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Fuel Sending Unit, KB-2/3

All, I am having issues with getting my fuel sending unit to work. I wired the unit per (fig 2, Circuit Diagram K1-K5) the IHC motor truck service manual section A page 4. No response!

I verified that the lead to the sending unit is hot with the ignition switch on and that the tank is grounded. No Response!

However when I was checking the power with a test light I found that if I held the light between ground and the hot lead to the sending unit the gauge would show that i have a half a tank?

Any idea?

JC 8-)
JC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Fuel Sending Unit, KB-2/3

maybe the sender isn't getting a good ground itself, try a wire from mounting bolt to good ground & see if it helps
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:32 pm

bedrockjon wrote:maybe the sender isn't getting a good ground itself, try a wire from mounting bolt to good ground & see if it helps

Indeed. I always run a ground strap directly from one of the mounting bolts on the sender over to the frame or body of the vehicle.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:22 pm

All, I tried the additional ground with no luck. I think the lamp in the test light is acting as a resistor between ground and the sending unit? Any suggestions?

JC 8-)
JC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Replace or rebiuld the sender. You have stated that the tank is grounded, you know the gauge head will move the needle by the test light, so that leaves the sending unit itself.
The senders are a pulsed type and there are no modern vehicle unit that will work. You need to find a good one, or a rebiulder who understands how the pulsed type senders work and knows how to repair.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 am

So far, I have not been able to find anyone who knows what I am talking about when I tell them about the King- Seeley pulsed sending units- they just say send it to me and we will take a look. I am afraid that would be a waste of time. Does anyone know of anyone that understands these senders and can rebuild them? One guy I called said simply that they cannot be rebuilt. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.- Stickman207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 am

Hemmings Motor News used to have vendors ad's that said they could rebiuld old units. I haven't read a Hemmings in 20 years or more, but a place to start looking.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:15 am

This is the place that I have seen referenced in other web sites: http://www.morrisgauge.com/
Can not vouch for them, never used them.

Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 pm

I had the folks at Tri Starr LLC rebuild the one in my truck. I havent had any issues with it
Steve

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:28 am

first you can use the early ford pre 52 i belive it is fuel sending unit.

this i say based on the fact severail members have posted in the past saying they have used said fuel sending unit with great sucess.

yet i know they said something about having to bend the float rod differantly to make it read properly.

further more ford used the same type king sealy gause in the 40s/50s and possibly earlier as well as ford used king sealy gauges clear up into the 80s.

this said the gauges found in the early at 63 to 66 ford pickups 66 to 77 ford broncos early encoline vans 72 and older have the same exact style shape gauges as the k/kb pickups and there even 6volt.

yet ford used a resistor on them to make them 12 volt instead of 6 volt.

further more i know people have taken the faces off there stock k/kb/l/r/s gauges and the faces off the ford gauges and in turn put the k/kb/l/r/s faces on the ford gauges so they could have 12 volt gauges verses 6 volt.

how ever i am not sure what senders they used as well as i do not know if the latter 60s/70s gauges are pluse like the early k/kb gauges.

next people have posted here on the sight in the past that they have had good luck using the older ford flat head temp and oil sending units on the grds with great sucese as the grd sending unit for temp and oil are no long avalble.

this said there has also bin oposhtion buy another member saying that the early ford sending units are differant than the grd senders which is correct.

yet even though there slightly differant and the another member says they will not work/funchtion right are properly i personaly know severail people over and above the members of this sight that have had great sucesse using the early for flat head senders on grd motors.

on another note and to add more the same member/person that says the ford senders will not work/function properly also says you basicly can noy use a volt a drop from 6 to 12 with out having issuses and i personly have used 6 to 12 volt a drops and know people that have done it for years and years with out any issuses.

incloseing i am only passing on my personal knolege and what has bin posted buy members here in the past and i am not telling any one what to do and not to do are that something will are will not work.

so you can take it for what it is worth are wait for other members that have exspriance with doing what i just posted as i am sure this post will bring out both sides the fence and this is totaly fine as every one is intitled to there owen opioin.

as well as i posted my owen opioin and exspriancenes and knologele based not only personaly doing some of it but also researching it out throughly before doing it.

further more you may want to contact the person that is listed on here know as well as in the past that rebuilds the stock dash/gauge panel.

reason being he maybe able to help you and are rebuild your are tell you of another one that will work.

lastly i know they can be rebuilb but check with other on here before you send your out to be rebuilt as i remember reading here on the past that at least one member had his rebuilt and it was done wrong and it did not work and the company/person that rebuilt it was of little are no help so he was looking for another one are some one else to repair his because it did not work properly.
robertkb48
Next

Return to K and KB