KB2 Taillight assembly

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Re: KB2 Taillight assembly

well since i am a ford guy, that is my preference!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:57 pm

i to am a ford guy as well as i personaly feel the ford reproduction lights are of a better style/quality due to the way there made verses the chevy reproductions.
further more an inch is not going to be a big enough differance to notice.
as well as each person is entitled to there owen choices.
lastly 99.999% of the people have no idea what a stock k/kb light light looks like so it will not matter weather you use ford are chevy and again i am not only a ford guy but also a person that considers cost and quality and there for i recomend the reproduction ford taillights over the chevy.
robertkb48

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:47 pm

If You are Going For an Accurate/Restoration, Absolutes are fine. A Die Hard Perfectionist (no matter what Brand) Will know the Difference, Most of the General public will not know and will not care. Aside from that, What ever a person wants to use and they are happy with it, It Is Their Truck.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Lloyd i could have not said it better myself.
next i 100% honestly belive d15h is totaly missing the point of the topic and instead he is trying to turn a simple point of veiw of other members into a big old uneeded arguement stickly because he prefers the gm tail lights over the ford because there a bit smaller and are a bit closer to the stock k/kb tail light.
yet no buddy here other than d15h is argueing about anything are trying to cause an issuse.
lastly d15h should and needs to mellow out here a bit and stop and relize no buddy is argueing with any one about anything unlike himself.
enough said and i will step of my poduim know and move on.
robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Wow - 3 pages on taillights. lol

Now I just hope I can find one that is 'close' to correct AND weathered about the same as the rest of my truck is. I'd also like for it to have a glass lens. I was really surprised to find out that there just aren't any on ebay. There's tons of brand new reproductions, but so far I only found one set of 'original' round chevy taillights and they want $150 for the pair. I'm just not interested in spending that kinda money. I'll find what I need eventually. I'm usually pretty resourceful when it comes to digging up odd stuff for a deal. I can spot junk in the tall weeds hundreds of yards off the road - even at highway speeds. lol

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Yep, never know what you might find at a yard sale either,or the local auction. When I had money, I used to go to all the old Farm auctions. You know, those guys Never throw things away till it can't be used any more.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 pm

lbesq wrote:If You are Going For an Accurate/Restoration, Absolutes are fine. A Die Hard Perfectionist (no matter what Brand) Will know the Difference, Most of the General public will not know and will not care. Aside from that, What ever a person wants to use and they are happy with it, It Is Their Truck.

I think D15H did a good job of pointing out what was orignal, what the aftermarket replacement are and the differnaces between orignal and common replacements. What someone uses is up to them, but without the knowlege of what the differance are how can they make an informed choice? If getting as close to orignal is inportant to someone, then knowing IHC use 3 1/2" as did Chevy, and Ford was 4", would be good to know. What you use, is up to you. 3 1/2 is 3 1/2 and 4 is 4... they are not the same.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:40 pm

robertkb48 wrote:
cornbinder89 wrote:
lbesq wrote:If You are Going For an Accurate/Restoration, Absolutes are fine. A Die Hard Perfectionist (no matter what Brand) Will know the Difference, Most of the General public will not know and will not care. Aside from that, What ever a person wants to use and they are happy with it, It Is Their Truck.

I think D15H did a good job of pointing out what was original, what the aftermarket replacement are and the differances between original and common replacements. What someone uses is up to them, but without the knowledge of what the differance are how can they make an informed choice? If getting as close to original is important to someone, then knowing IHC use 3 1/2" as did Chevy, and Ford was 4", would be good to know. What you use, is up to you. 3 1/2 is 3 1/2 and 4 is 4... they are not the same.

p.s. to the op try looking on line for chevy/gmc forums of the vintage truck your looking for the tail light from and you may have some great luck finding a good used weathered light in-exspensively priced.
robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:38 am

D15H wrote:robertkb49 -you are missing the whole point .The GM 1954-55 are the same as the plastic R-T8 used by International as a replacement for the glass lens of the KB. Put the R-T8 bezel and lens on any 3 1/2" tail light and it will look like the original .
Scott in B.C.

d15h all i did is agree that the chey tail light is closer and said the op may find a good used weathered tail light on one of the gm/chevy forums nothing more nothing less.
as well as that i agree with llyod 100% on his point of veiw.

how ever it is nice to also know the only differance between the l/r/s tail light and the 54 to 59 chevy stepside in the lens and bezel.
robertkb48

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:47 am

mechanic58 wrote:Wow - 3 pages on taillights. lol

Eh, this is nothing, my GMC buddies over on oldgmctruck get all worked up over taillights too,

big one that makes their pant get too tight, is a guide R-13

those fetch $180+ when you can find em.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB