KB2 Taillight assembly

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:35 pm

KB2 Taillight assembly

Anyone got a picture of what one looks like? Mine was long gone when I got the truck and I can't find a picture of what one is supposed to look like to save my own a**! I don't necessarily have to have THE correct light assembly, I just want to get close. My truck only has one taillight bracket on it and it was not equipped with turn signals. So it just had one light, originally.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Re: KB2 Taillight assembly

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 am

lbesq wrote:Would it be something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Interna ... fb&vxp=mtr

Nah...I think those for a much later model pickup with a fleetside style bed. Those lights are flush mounted in the bed corners I believe. Thanks though. I suspect the lights pictured in the second post are probably closer to what I had in mind.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:13 pm

first i have a pitcure that shows basicly just the lens of a k/kb series orgional tail light mounted on i belive a kb5 and if you would like this photo pm me your email and i will forward it to you.
next the tail lights d15h posted are almost identical if not acutal k/kb tail lights.
further more according to the lmc catolog the chey/gmc step side pickups used the same taillight from 54 clear up to 59 and as d15h pointed out the 54 to 59 chevy/gmc are probly the closest reproduction tail light you will find to a stock k/kb as well as they even use the same style tail light socket.
next some of the early dodge power wagons also used an almost identical tail light as the k/kb series.
lastly i personaly used 32 up ford style on my kb1 as i could get them in stainless and they were less exspensive than the 54 to 59 chevy/gmc step side ones.
robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I actually already kinda had my eye on the mid-late 50's GM stepside light assemblies. That's probably what I will go with. Now I just need to find one that is as weathered as the rest of my truck...lol. If I put a new one on there it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Wow...I just found this:

https://travelallparts.com/products/?vi ... t_id=17329

I think I have at least three of those exact lights in some of my junk boxes that I have accumulated over the years. I know for a fact that I got them at places like NAPA, etc - as a universal taillight assembly. According that link though, it was THE assembly they used on these trucks. Interesting.

Now that I think about it, I think one of these lights that I have - exactly like the one I have linked here - came off of a mid-40's Willys Jeep that I worked on for a guy here last year.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 am

KB tail light lens I bought on Ebay. It is made by Guide and is plastic.
Goose
Attachments
$(KGrHqIOKm8E3dZRTM5JBOD24UYkqQ~~0_3.jpg
KB-1 Lens

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:13 am

mechanic58 wrote:Wow...I just found this:

https://travelallparts.com/products/?vi ... t_id=17329

I think I have at least three of those exact lights in some of my junk boxes that I have accumulated over the years. I know for a fact that I got them at places like NAPA, etc - as a universal taillight assembly. According that link though, it was THE assembly they used on these trucks. Interesting.

Now that I think about it, I think one of these lights that I have - exactly like the one I have linked here - came off of a mid-40's Willys Jeep that I worked on for a guy here last year.

the tail lights sold buy travelparts are non stock after market and are not correct for any model specific vechicle weather it be a jeep are a k/kb pickup.
next i am not sure why they have them list as for the k/kb pickups unless there just trying to mis lead people and make a sell.
lastly be for warned and carefull when dealing with travelallparts.com as past members have bin burned buy them as they sell parts that are incorrect and do not fit and when you have an issuse they do not stand behind what they sell.
p.s. more than one member has posted in the past about issuses with traveallparts.com

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:12 pm

i got repop early 40's ford lights to use on mine. there was quite a bit of this topic traffic on the old site and those were deemed to be a close approximation of KB lights.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:05 pm

More good information. I'm glad I made this thread.
Next

Return to K and KB