Water Pump

The old and reliable.

KB2

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Water Pump

Is it normal for the front of the water pump to leak a bit when the engine is running? It does just enough to sling water a bit.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Water Pump

Probably not. Someone will either have a reference of where you can send it for rebuild or where you might get rebuild parts, or even have a spare. Give it a little time.

Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't believe the old Green Diamond water pumps had lip type or mechanical seal in them like modern pumps have. I believe they had some sort of a graphite/felt packing material for the seal. I'm not 100% sure about that though. I've only seen a couple of these engines in running condition and they were all dripping water from the pump shaft. lol

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Mechanic, if you have a core Kellogg Automotive will rebuild it for $75 plus shipping.
=========================================================================

Re: Water Pump Rebuild
*Part Description: Water Pump Rebuild
*Part Number: GD-214 engine
*Source: Kellogg Automotive
*Source Address: 5562 N. Warren, Hidden Valley AZ. 85139
*Phone Number: 1(520) 494-7460
*Source Web Link: NA

JC 8-)
JC

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 pm

A leaking water pump can usually be repaired by adding one or two rings of water pump packing rather than a pump overhaul. I get my packing from Restoration Supply Company.

KB2

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks for the help and suggestions. It is a 49 so I believe it has the lip, so I will probably have to rebuild.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 am

hi and first i have seen older vechicles with seeping water pumps and nomalyy they will last along time due to the fact most of them are seldomly run.

also due to the fact the grd motor are not a presurized system and low presure system you leaking water pump would probly last for quite awhile is if was used lightly.

how ever i personaly would have the pump rebuilt no matter what just because i am a stickler when it comes to leaks as you never know from 1 minute to the next when a slow minscual leak is going to turn into a full blown leak as well as it is not worth blowing a head gasket from over heating.
further more over heating may not nesserecerly cause a crack are a wraped head on all engines.

yet on the older flat heads it is highly poosible due there age and the fact there worn from age.

so all this said i most defently recomend you either have your pump rebuilt are find a good used are reman pump to replace the leaking one.
robertkb48

Return to K and KB