KB-6 Question

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:44 pm

KB-6 Question

So, everyone ask's me what weight rating (I've always guessed 2-ton, or 2 and a half ton) my 1949 KB-6 is. Anyone know the real answer? The title says shipping weight (I know - not the same) is 7152 lbs., if that helps....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:53 am

Re: KB-6 Question

depnds on how it was spec'd. Look at the data plate for GVW. I have one K-7 with a GVW of 16,000 and another at 21,500. The Ton thing doesn't really apply.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 am

the general accepted tonnage of a KB-6 if you look at the Factory Sales Brochures

is a 2 ton,

KB-1 1/2 ton,
KB-2 3/4 ton,
KB-3 1 ton,
K-4 1 1/4 ton, <discontinued into KB line
KB-5 1 1/2 ton,
KB-6 2 ton,
etc.

but as cornbinder said application specs are a more accurate rating,

but you are generally safe in calling it your 2 ton truck, I'm sure no one will argue with you. 8-)
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 am

I have seen (both here in pictures and in person) a Loadstar with tandem drive, juice brakes on 38K walking beam for 48K GVW and I have a Fleetstar that has a 32K GVW. The point being that you can't judge by its model. Unlike other trucklines, IHC is all in how it is spec'd. There are however ranges that a model falls in. For example a K-6 could be a tandem, as could a K-10 but the -6 will have a lower GVW then the -10.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 am

That's the info I was looking for bedrockjon. I understand that the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton nomenclature has somewhat lost relevance with recent trucks, but folks still ask, and it's a good way to relate ("boy, a 1 ton is a big truck - you're telling me you've got a 2 ton?!?!"). FWIW, here's the data plate with 16,000 listed as max GVW:

On a somewhat related topic, I'm going to register my KB-6 (took 6 months to get the title from the seller) as a farm truck for the first year before switching over to a collector plate (saves me $75 on registration). The shipping weight is the only one listed on the title, not GVW, and the costs goes up after 10,000 lbs. I don't suppose I'm under obligation to use GVW rather than stated shipping weight, especially since that's what's on the title, right? When I went into the licence plate place, they didn't even ask about GVW - just looked at shipping weight on the title to quote me registration cost...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:03 pm

How to register and what weight varys by state and too often by who you talked to at that state.Best advice is to get a copy of the law AS WRITEN, in you state, and find out what it says, because even if someone at the state says you can, doesn't mean the law does, and the law as writen is what a judge is going to go by, not what you were told by some clerk.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:56 pm

The advice was given on the fact that my truck wasn't likely to be driven this summer (working on getting it started and brakes), and there is a substantial cost savings for transferring a vehicle that is already in your name to collector status over registering it that way right off the bat. To break it down, here are my options:

Register it collector right away - $175. No renewals ever - that's lifetime registration, plate and tags. Or go farm vehicle for one year at $50, then upgrade the following year for $50 to collector status and get the lifetime registration, plates and tags from then on.

I've read several of the statutes (limited use of the vehicle, etc, which shouldn't be much of an issue for a truck that doesn't run or stop :roll: ) but don't see anything on how weight is judged.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 pm

In Iowa you can register for any weight you want, but better not get cought being over the weight listed on the reg.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:56 pm

moose97, I completely understand where CB89 is coming from. I think that your plan of registering it for Farm(generally limited to a certain distance to be driven) for the first yr. then going to your Collector status the next year. Keep in mind, if you are actually going to Use the truck to haul stuff, Follow your State laws, to the letter. The ticket is generally much more than the registration!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 pm

in Washington State you can register an antique/classic truck with a one time reg fee, you are limited to not haul anything and 2500 miles, most people do not drive any classic type vehicle more than 2500 miles so it works OK.

my KB-6 TWO TON is used semi regularly for work, so I have it licensed as a regular vehicle,

you have to pay additional tonnage on trucks here, you can pretty much decide like CB said on what tonnage you want to pay,

if you don't know what to say, they have a schedule form they can calculate it.

when I bought my 53 R-160 dump truck it was previously licensed to 22,000 lbs., since I wasn't going to use it to haul stuff, I had it licensed to the minimum, saved about $300 in fees, I sold it before I ever put anything in it.

you generally do not have to worry about "getting caught" hauling over weight, as with a classic truck you don't need to go over the freeway scales, at least in WA.

now if you decide to become a long hauler, you might want to make sure everything is jake with the coppers so you don't have to take it on the lam if smoky eyeballs you,.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Next

Return to K and KB