Removing the steering wheel

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Removing the steering wheel

Are there any tricks to removing the original steering wheel from the rod? Nut is off, horn contact sticking out the end and I have pounded on the backside with a rubber mallet with not luck. No place to put a puller that I can see...anyone help?
Thanks

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Removing the steering wheel

Put the Nut back on, almost all the way. Protect those threads and that end! Put your legs under the wheel and tap hard on the nut. Once you get it loose, it will come. Others may have better information.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Not bad, but I have the problem of the horn contactor hanging out. I can't seem to pull it out without possible breaking it.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Sorry, I forgot, the horn wire comes all the way up the shaft from the bottom. If you can disconnect it at the bottom then you should be able to pull it up. Major pain to re-string. Best suggestion, find a Long stiff wire, that you can fasten the wire coming out the top to, and stick it down the shaft. then you can pull it back up. Either way, your choice.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Great, I appreciate that and I'll try it out tomorrow if it stops raining.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:47 pm

you can always try drinking a couple beers, then grab the wheel and pull hard while wiggling it,,

the beers are for when you punch yourself in the face with a 60+ year old steering wheel :shock:

probably best to do it Lloyd's way,,,,

I'm not saying how I know about the face punch wheel removal method :oops:
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:50 pm

lol...I'll try leaving the nut on..whatever I do. I can't loose any more teeth and still eat solid food.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm

This will probably sound dumb, but oh well. I have someone putting my truck back together and he is having trouble re-installing the steering wheel. How much threaded area is there where the nut goes, I'm almost thinking someone in the past has cut this down for some reason? Also what is the size of the nut ,3/4"NF, 3/4"course, 7/8" or what?
Thanks, binderbud

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 am

Hey bud- can't say how much thread is s'posed to be there or the size nut, but it is possible someone's cut the end- especially if the wheel's been off before.

The reason Lloyd said to leave the nut on the end- especially if you're using a puller- is that the end can be damaged or 'mushroomed'. That might have made it necessary to cut off the damaged threads.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:16 am

he is having trouble re-installing the steering wheel

If the steering wheel was not totally seated down on the shaft, someone in the past might have tried to use the nut to draw it down into place and could have stripped off the upper threads.

Put the steering wheel on the shaft and use a large diameter socket and a plastic hammer to drive it all the way on. You might want to first put some anti-seize on the shaft splines to both help seat the wheel and to help remove it in the future.

Return to K and KB