KB2 brake parts

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: KB2 brake parts

Man, did I get lucky. The master cylinder that was on my truck - the one that sat in the woods, forgotten for 48 years - is salvageable. I removed it from the truck yesterday and when I cracked the line loose from the end of it, clean, clear brake fluid ran out of it. I got it over to the bench and got the fill cap off and it was clean like new on the inside. I was shocked. The bore cleaned up very nicely with my hone and I bought a rebuild kit for it from Rock Auto for $14. I'm excited!!

Also, I have ordered the Ford F-series wheel cylinders. I'll be sure to report how they work out. Now I just gotta figure out how I am going to go about pulling the rear hubs off of the axles. I'm not looking forward to that. :|

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 pm

a stroke of good luck indeed.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:08 pm

I got the late model Ford truck wheel cylinders today - I do believe they could be 'made' to work, but they are not a direct bolt-on replacement. The bolt pattern is slightly different and the backing plate would have to be modified to make them fit. Also, the pistons do not have a crow's foot on them for the brake shoes to seat in, they have a bowl instead and would require the use of a pushrod to connect to the brake shoes. I'm going to send them back - because as it turns out, I was able to salvage all 4 of my original wheel cylinders and I am going to rebuild them. Rockauto has the kits for $5.15 each.
Previous

Return to K and KB