K series door lock help needed please

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:20 pm

K series door lock help needed please

I am in desperate need of a passenger door lock for a K series truck. I had one in my door that i removed. i purchased a new tunbler insert for it but the lock smith I took it all to destroyed the original lock housing trying to get it apart so now i have a tumber insert and no good housing to put it in.
This is something i am in desperate need for quickly. i am trying to finish my project to a point that i can tow it when we move in 3 weeks.
While i realize that this lock will not stop a determined thief i do want it to work so that when we stop for the night i don't have to sleep in my truck.
If someone has a complete working one I would be willing to pay for it and the expedited shipping and even send you the new tumber insert i bought since i wont have any use of it then.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: K series door lock help needed please

I am currently using new model "a" locks..they work and I use a hose clamp on the inside of door to hold lock in position,, I am considering these but am not familiar with the quality

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110931413391?ss ... 1438.l2649

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 pm

you can buy 32 up ford after market door lock which is the same as your k door lock.
how ever the after market door locks have a longer universal shaft that needs to be cut to lenght as the square shaft is longer for both the k/kb 1 thru 5 and the 32 up fords.

next be sure if you wind up with a used one that it is from a k/kb 1 thru 5 pickup/truck.

reason why is the k/kb panel and the k/kb 6 and larger use a totaly differant door lock even though they look simular they do not interchange and will not work.

this said macs auto online sells new reproduction door locks for under $40.00 dolars and they come with 2 matching keys.

so there for you will be all ready to go and not have to have to worry about trying to get a used door lock keyed as most likely any used one you will find will need rekeyed due to the fact the key will be long gone.
lastly macs will ship you one over night 3 day select are ups ground etc so you can get one way before you leave and beable to install it.
robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Windigo69
Thanks for the headsup. i am going to get my tape measure out and start measuring for fitment. That is a very interesting solution. one that i hadn't thought of.

Robert48
Thank you for the link. I looked at the pictures of the locks on Mac's and I am a bit confused. The lock that came out of my door has three "ears" that stick out, they fit into three notches in the door and the lock is held in by a spring clip that wedges between the ears and the back of the door. The clip is postioned behind the opening so that when the lock is placed int eh door the clip is then pushed forward to capture the lock. teh ones on the website don't appear to have the "ears" on then, in fact they look just like one i bought a few months ago that was supposed to be for a k series but it only has some flats machined on the lock body, no ears.
Can you shed some light on this mystery of the ears?

And a further question for anyone - the door latch mechanisms shown on Mac's for the 32 fords look very similar to the k series, are they the same or just look similar?
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:08 pm

first the reproduction ford door locks are not identical to the origonal ford door lock which is identical in every way shape and form as the k/kb 1 thru 5 pickup and 1.5 ton trucks.

yet the after market ford door locks fit the k/kb door lock hole and work just fine.

as the metal spring clip is what acutally holds the door lock in place and not the ear you spoke of on the body of the origonal door lock.

this said on the new reproduction door lock the spring clip engauges to the machined slots of the lock body instead of the ear like on the origonal.
so even though the reproduction lock is not 100% identical to the orgional it works just fine and this i know as i not only installed one in my passangers door but also my drivers side door as i did my research and was able to locate a locking mecinixium for the drivers side.

what i used was an early 40/50 pv volvo door lock mecanizuim.
as ford international and volvo all used the same basic door lock mechaziuim that was made buy a swedish company and if you contact d15h here on the sight he can tell you the excat name of the swedish company.

to answer you question about the ford and international door mechanizuim being the same the answer this there basicly identical.
with the only differance being the shaft were the door handle attaches.

reason being the k/kb inner door handle is held on with a flat head machine screw and the ford one is held on with a roll pin.
yet other than this there identical as is the locking part of the latch the same as the 40s/50s volvo.
how ever the volvos use the door that the d/k/kb pannel and k/kb6 and bigger use and the door lock from these models is differant and will not work in the k/kb pickup are 1.5 ton trucks.
all this said the door lock you already purchased should fit and work just fine if it is like the macs.

lastly as far as i know there are no reproduction ford door locks made that are identical to the orgionals which again are identical to the k/kb 1 thru 5 as well if the reproduction ones did not fit/work people would be complaning and not buying them as well as some one would have redisgned are come up with a new one buy now and they have not as the reproduction one works just fine even though it is slightly differant.
robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Robert
You are a wealth of information. My confusion continues a liitle bit based upon what you have described. i have tried to use the lock i purchased as you describe and the issue is that with out the "ears" on it there is nothing for the clip to push against and the lock will just slide forward out of the door. I am have to conclude that either the lock i bought was not advertised correctly or if it is the same as the ones on Macs then they won't work with the original factory clip.
Any thoughts on this? i wll try to post some picture tomorrow after my camera is charged.
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Sounds like you are using the same lock I am,,I put a hose clamp around the lock from inside the door to keep it from falling out..It is a temporary solution that has become my long term solution 'cause I am so busy.....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 pm

pualietools all i can tell you is there a pain the you know what to get installed properly that is the reproduction doors locks.

as the deal is you have to get the clip to seat to the lock body in the prefect spot which again is a pain in the you know what.
the said the clip has to be perfectly algained into the groove and behind the 2 little ears on the lock body are it will just fall out like you have already ran into.
lastly if i ever had to do it again i would use orgionals and not repops because again the repops are a pain in the you know what.
robertkb48

Return to K and KB