Manual Shifter for two speed rearend

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Manual Shifter for two speed rearend

Does anyone know what years the rear end utilized a manual shift? I am in the process of purchasing a 1941 K7 and noticed that the shift lever went all the way back to the rear end. I thought the sifting was vacuum operated on all the K and KB 6 and 7?

Just wondering if you had to be completely stopped to shift from high to low? Or is it possible to shift while you are moving? I have to guess that it is better to shift when not moving but just wondering?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Manual Shifter for two speed rearend

I have never seen one but you would not have to stop to shift ranges,,,that would defeat the purpose of a "2 speed axle" It effectively allows you to split your gears. Oh and there certainly could be some chatter shifting that finger into place until you get some practice and see what method works best,,let off the throttle to shift a 2 speed axle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 pm

1st question, its not a tandem is it? By the time the K series was out vacuum was the norm for 2 spd axles. The main problem with a mechanical linkage is it lacks the pre-select that more modern shifter have. This makes shifting more of a pain. The other problem with long linkages is they can bounce out of gear on a rough road. I think the earlyer trucks did use a mechanical linkage, but by the time the K's were out, everything was vacuum.
Tandems used a mechaical linkage to a power divider/2 spd aux.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am

The truck is not a tandem axle. I don't have the registration since the truck is parked out behind a barn and the owner has used it to drive around the farm ( off road ). I get the pleasure of taking it to the DMV and getting it retitled. In California the DMV is a unique place so I am sure I will have fun on that front!

I know the truck is an early K7 since it came with a FAC 259 motor. Below are photos of the transmission link and a picture of the truck.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q49 ... to/006.jpg Transmission linkage

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q49 ... to/001.jpg Front of the truck.

Return to K and KB