1948 KB-2 Steering wheel

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 pm

1948 KB-2 Steering wheel

I currently have a KB-2 under restoration and I'm looking for feedback as to what you guys have been doing as far as steering wheel restoration goes. Mine is cracked in the usual places and I need to do something about it and figured this would be a good place to start asking questions. Other vhicles ive restored have not been as difficult due to scarcity of parts like this KB.

Is there somewhere you have sent these out to be restored or have most of you been restoring them yourselves? I have heard of people using JB weld to fix the cracking and such, is there a better product?
Is there anywhere to purchase these steering wheels online or any of the tractors from that era that would have the same style that would be readily available by any chance? I see plenty of steering wheels for all the tractors and have run into a few places that restore them for tractors but not so for the pickup trucks. Looking for some feedback before I tear into this project and find out that there was another option.

Nice to see this site is back up. I remember running across this site when I was shopping for a KB back in the day and thought it had been completely removed until a few weeks back.
Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks.

Sanagate

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Re: 1948 KB-2 Steering wheel

Eastwood.com has a steering wheel repair material that I have been pleased with in the past. Basically, you V- out the crack and fill it. It is a two part epoxy and comes with an excellent manual that make recommendations as to what grit sandpaper to use to prep and finish the wheel. Be wire to use a UV resistant last coating. It runs about $25.00.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 pm

Oldbike99 wrote:Eastwood.com has a steering wheel repair material that I have been pleased with in the past. Basically, you V- out the crack and fill it. It is a two part epoxy and comes with an excellent manual that makes recommendations as to what grit sandpaper to use to prep and finish the wheel. Be sure
to use a UV resistant last coating. It runs about $25.00.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 pm

i bought the eastwood kit a year or so ago. have not done the repair yet though.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 pm

JB weld is real runny to get it to stay in place, kind of have to let it start to set up, then it is harder than the steering wheel it self, so sanding can be tricky,

easy to take too much material from wheel itself then the JB, best to use a product made for it, like the Eastwood stuff
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

Return to K and KB