KB.5 U.S. Mail truck

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:18 pm

KB.5 U.S. Mail truck

Hello everyone!

I own a 1948 KB.5 that was used as a U.S. mail truck back in the days.

I wanted this truck to be a daily driver. Sort of a business advertising truck ... this would be an awesome idea. I have done restorations before and this truck is very solid compared to the other vehicles I've restored. My problem evolves with the lack of parts and resources. I have restored jeeps and Volkwagens in the past with an ease of resources and parts. This is a bit more challenging if one wanted to do a nice restoration job back to original condition not to mention the funds needed. I do not know the condition of the engine, as i currently removed the plugs and poored Marvel Mystery Oil in the block to loosen things up a bit before trying to turn her over. Tranny seems to be seized. and although I Love the style of the wheels, I know tires wont be cheap and I worry about the safety factor with the split rims. Lets not forget to mention all the other little things involved such as brake job, wiring...etc. All that equates to money! Also, time is of the essence to me. I have lots of projects I need to get done and sold before my lease on my 1200 Sqft. warehouse runs out next March 2014. I would rather not renew the lease and focus on buying a house with some land then later, future projects could have all the time in the world. I am undecided weather to just work with what I got, and painfully wait to find correct parts, and not be able to enjoy the vehicle for years, and watch the big hole burns through my pockets. Probably even get bored of it and let it go for a third of what I had invested in it.... Or.... find a donor vehicle if at all possible. I was thinking maybe an F350-450 4x4 in running condition would make this project go alot smoother. Now keep in mind I just thought of this idea and do not know if the frame would be a good candidate. But, the idea behind this is that for a few thousand upfront coast, I would have the complete drivetrain and modern dually axles with disk brakes and be able to use it as a daily driver. Has anyone ever used an F350-450? I here about S10's being used for KB.1-2's but it seems like this beast is to heavy for that frame... Whats your take on this?
Attachments
KB5 Wheel.jpg
kb5.jpg
List of my Money Pits:
1948 IH KB.5 - U.S. Mail Truck (awaiting restoration)
1953 Plymouth (RatRod)
1944 Ford GPW (Fully Restored to Original WWII Jeep)
1946 Willys Jeep (Awaiting Custom rat rod rebuild)
1981 Jeep Scrambler CJ-8 (Almost complete)

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: KB.5 U.S. Mail truck

Others will have thoughts, mine are these. measure your frame, measure your axle length(backing plate surface to backing plate surface) and total length. Your frame is probably strong enough to handle what you put on it. Next how good are you at fabrication? drop axles and put new ones on for the rear. Look at what your bearings are on the front spindles and what could you adapt? As I said, others will speak up, Rather than a 4x4, perhaps a 2 wheel drive, also look to the E vans, not sure but the axles might be narrower.
Lloyd

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 pm

lbesq wrote:Your frame is probably strong enough to handle what you put on it. Next how good are you at fabrication? drop axles and put new ones on for the rear. Look at what your bearings are on the front spindles and what could you adapt?

Lloyd, So what you are suggesting is that I use my KB.5 frame instead of the donar's frame and swap everything over?

I was thinking more along the lines of finding a suitable donar with a near match size frame were I can basically pick up the KB.5 body and mount it on the Donars's frame with as little modifications as possible. This way, the driveline stays in tact as well as the axles and I will be on the road in no time. I am pretty good at fabrication but like to avoid excessive work whenever possible. After all, time is money... and I waste to much of it when fabricating because I am a perfectionist of sorts :D

BTW... What were your plans for your KB.5?

Thanks,
Luis
List of my Money Pits:
1953 Plymouth (RatRod)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

hi for what your wanting and your time frame i personaly feel your best beat is what you were thing about using a newer moder frame and setting the body onto it.
this way at a latter date if you wanted to you could always remount it back to the orgonal frame/running gear.

this all said there is no way the stock running gear is going to give you streetabilty are daily driveability as the stock grd series/style motor at best is only going to go 40mph.
lastly if it were me and i was wanting streetabilty as well as the time restaints you have a new modern frame/running gear is exactly the way i would go.
robertkb48

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Well, the plans at this point are some of what I have suggested. My son wants to use it for Advertising and perhaps Delivery for the Dry Cleaners. If you find a donor that has the same foot print as the KB5, let me know. The main things you will have to look at is the Wheel spacing both side to side and front to back. One of the other things, and this is the question for those who have put larger motors in their KB's is what will need to be done to make one fit inside the "shell" of the truck. There is a fellow in Merritt Canada, that has put a KB1 cab on top of a 1 ton Ford . Check out and talk to Jeff at: http://www.backalleycustomsmerritt.ca/

Another member has used 4bt motors. There are lots of options out there.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Im going to take my measurements one of these days and take a trip to the local junk yard. Make a day of it and start measuring... Once I know whats a good candidate.. I will start looking for a good running donor in the local classified ads or craigslist. Lloyd, I will let you know what I find. :D
List of my Money Pits:
1953 Plymouth (RatRod)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 am

you can always shorten a frame, if you find a good one you like, with good motor, etc. main concern is width, I think old trucks put on newer frames with tires bulging out of the fenders look bad, but that's just my taste.

I've seen a lot of conversions of bigger old trucks that the guys say the used a motorhome chassis, I'm guessing the suspension might be better than a work truck frame, and the rails are flat level the length, or the fact trashed motorhomes usually have fairly low miles on em?

people either cut out a chunk in the center of frame, and weld up, or better option (at least to me) is move entire rear end up to where you want it shackle mounts and all, you just need to shorten driveline and brake line, not that difficult,

whatever you decide, it's gonna a a cool project.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to K and KB