K series data plate fastening

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 am

K series data plate fastening

Can anyone post some pictures of how their data plate is fastened? I bought a replacement plate off of ebay but my original plate was laying loose on the floor.
I have seen one picture that showed the K series plate mounted with sheet metal screws. I have seen other pictures showing the KB series mounted with rivets. Which is correct for the K series? And if it is rivets is there a source for factory original type or just get something from McMaster Carr?

I need to take my truck to the DMV for the serial number verification and I have been told that the data plate needs to look original in place or they can be difficult.

Oh and feel free to black out the serial info on your data plates if you are worried about that. i just need to see the fastening of the plate not the info.

Thanks
Paul
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: K series data plate fastening

mine has screws. my photo is too large to add in.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 pm

KJ - What are the heads of the screws? I have seen flatheads on a K series and I have seen philips on a KB series. Also pan head or round head shape? Thanks for the input.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Here's a photo of mine - never removed - from a '49 KB(S)-6

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Moose,
Thanks that matches the photo of the Kseries truck i have seen. I am going to go with those flathead screws.
Freemnan Dyson

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 pm

first the k and kb series use 2 differant large data tags and are located in 2 differant locations.
first the kb sereis has the large data tag attaced attached on under the hood up high on the firewall on the passangers side and it was orgionaly attached to the firewall with flat head machine screws like in the photo of the kb series data tag that is posted here on the last response to the topic.
this said if you pm me your email i have pictures of a k series that has it orgional data tag intact inside the cab on the drivers side kick panel.
how ever the data tag on the k series could have also bin mounted on the floor on the drivers side just below the seat were the rize is in the cabs floor for the seat.
i say this because it can and does very as to were the data tag is mounted on the k series.
yet the one i saw mounted on the floor was on a k panel.
than on the k series photo i have it is a pickup and i have also seen several k 4s and 5s and the data tag is mounted on the inside drivers kick panel.
how ever the panel uses the k/kb 6 and larger cowel/windsheild back so it could be that the smaller k 1 thru 5 series pickups had the data tag mounted to the drivers side inner kick panel and than the larger k6 and bigger had it mounted to the floor as i have heard others say there data tag on the k6 and larger was mounted to the floor not kick panel.

yet on all the kb series it large data tag is located out on the fire wall as showin the the picture posted on the pervious post.
lastly it should be easy to tell were the tag orgional mountd as there will be either 4 holes in the drivers side kick panel are on the floor were it was orgional mounted.
p.s. my 48 kb1 data tag was orgional attached will flat head screws but i put it back on with philps which i do not recomend in your case as you say it has to look as orgonal as possible.
robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Robert,
Thanks for the heads up. One of the issues i am facing with all of this is that the PO mixed and matched his sheet metal so i have a KB cab with a K series grill. The data plate i found laying on the floor in the truck and it is a data plate from a K series. Because of all of the mixing of sheet metal I can see the holes in the firewall for the KB series data plate but I don't have any holes in the kick panel for my K series plate.
I am going to SWAG the position of the K series plate on the kick panel based upon what i can see from the photos.
Freemnan Dyson

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm

pualietools if it were me and it was my truck before i did anything i would first check the frame number and confirm what model the truck/frame acutaly is and attach the data tag that the frame is.

reason being is the frame is acuttaly tell you what the truck is and no the sheet metal.

as you already know/found out that all the sheet metal interchanges between the k & kb.

this said the frame number on both the k&kb are located on the drivers side on the outside of the frame rail just foward of the steering box at are about were the front spring hanger is attached to the frame.

next the frame number if a pickup as it sound your working with will start with either k-1 k-2 k-3 than 5 didgets.

yet if it is a kb it will start with kb-1 kb-2 kb-3.

if it is a kb there could be as many as 6 didgets on the latter/last of the kbs .

the 5 are 6 didgets are the numerial number the truck was built during the production run.
these numbers could be used to detrime the exact year and every part the truck/pickup orgionaly came from the factory when you could still get a line setting ticket.

how ever here quite a few years ago international transfered/gave all there corperate records to the wiscuins hisrtorical sosicety who is know the keeper of all ihc corp records prior to the take over when navstar took over international.

but during the transfere most but not all line setting tickets were lost are mis placed and to date there are no and i repeat no line setting tickets what so ever for any of the k/kb series of any model as well as there are no line setting ticket for trucks prior to the k/kb sereis.

SIDE NOT THE W.S.H.C DOES HAVE THE PRODUCTION NUMBERS FOR THE K/KB SERIES YET THERE INCOMPLETE.
YET WITH THESE PRODUCTION NUMBERS YOU CAN USE YOUR FRAME NUMBER AND COMPARE IT TO THE PRODUCTION NUMBERS THEY HAVE TO GUESTAMANT THE YEAR OF YOU TRUCK.
HOW EVER IT IS AN EDGEACATED GUEES AT BEST.
REASON BEING IS JUST BECAUSE IHC HAS PRODUCTION AND THE W.S.C HAS A INCOMPLETE SET FOR THE K/KB SERIES THE FACT IS IHC NEVER USED THE PRODUCTION NUMBERS TO IDENTIFY THE K/KBS YET ALONE ANY OF THERE PICKUPS/TRUCKS.
INSTEAD THEY USED THE LINE SETTING TICKET ASIGNED TO EACH & EVERY INDIVAGAIL TRUCK THEY MADE AND AS I SAID/POINTED OUT THERE ARE KNOW K/KB LINE SETTING TICKES SO THERE FOR THERE IS NO 100% FULL PROOF WAY TO THE EXACT YEAR OF ANY K/B SERIES OF PICKUP ARE TRUCK.

yet they have found some line setting tickets for some of the larger 1.5 and bigger l/r/s series trucks.

lastly hope this helps and if you need any more help just ask and myself are are one of the other great members of the sight will be more than willing to help you.

robertkb48

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:48 am

In all reality, are the personel at the BMV going to know the proper location of the serial tag? I believe all they are concerned with is that it is secured to the vehicle. If you use the holes that are already in the firewall then you don't have to weld them shut.

I guess it all depends on if you are restoring or repairing.

Glenn

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 am

All thanks for the info.
Unfortunately the frame is long gone. it has been replaced by a donor frame from a newer more modern truck.
I agree that the folks at DMV most likely won't know the proper location but i am trying to be as correct as possible just in case. This isn't a restorarion by any means but do want to be close to correct.
I found some #6 x 1/4 pan head sheet metal screws in the hardware store that look pretty close. i will use the screw info provided to see how the ones I purchased compare.
My replacement data plate came in last week so i need to transfer/stamp the numbers on it and then mount it.
Again thanks to all.
Freemnan Dyson
Next

Return to K and KB