Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:15 pm

49 KB1 photos

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: 49 KB1 photos

nice truck! my first truck was a 1949 KB-1, didn't look anywhere near as nice as yours though.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Nice lookinf truck. I am working on my '47 KB2 and hope to have it on the road within a couple months. At the time being I am wasting a lot of time trying to locate a rear bumper and mounting brackets, I noticed that yours has a very nice rear bumper. Is it stock to the truck or did you have to go in a different direction and get something other than original (Ford,Chevy)?

binderbud

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

lots of luck finding a rear bumper and brackets.
deal is only about 1 in every 10 truck got 1.
further more the k and kb use differant rear bumpers.
hower the one on the pos truck is a factory corect kb rear bumper.
next i have heard that you can relief cut the center of a front bumper and have the v pressed ou and the reflief cut welded/filled in to make a front bumper into a rear.
as the only differant between a front and a rear is the front is vd/bowed and the rear is not.
this said there was a member on one of the past vershion of the oldihc sight that had a profeshion bumper shop just do as i said.
how ever i never saw any pics of how it turned.
but if i did not have a rear bumper i would give it a try since front bumper can be had as to rears that can not.
i say this because i have parted 13 plus k/kb 1 thru 5s and have 1 friend that made 3 out of five than another friend that ownes a short box kb1 and has parted 3 as well as the guy i sold my kb1 to built 1 out of 8.
out of all these my friend that built 3 out of 5 has 1 orgional rear bumper and my freind that parted 3 and has a kb1 short box has only the factory rear on his kb1 as it came with it.
than the guy that bought my kb1 has never had 1 are seen one until be bought my kb1 that has 1 of the only 2 i have ever bin able to get ahold of.
as to the other 1 i had i sold it to member 47extcab and he is using it on one of his trucks and has me looking for him another as again there next to impossible to find.
but you have one thing going which is the kb panels have and use the same rear bumper and bumper brackets as the kb 1 thru 3 pickups.
lastly i know were there is a complete set of rear bumper brackets for a k/kb 1 thru 3 pickup.
yet the very end of each side bracket is broke off right were the bolt hole is for the bumper bolt.
if your intrested let me know yet it will be summer before i could possibly even get them as the truck there on is out in an old time junk yard i know about in or state and this time of year it is to wet to get out in the yard to even look at them yet alone pull them off.
again this is only the bumper brackets and they need a liitle work.
robertkb48

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Robert,

Thanks for the information. You're in Vancouver, Wa, is that correct? If so I am going to have to work my way down ther and see what you have. I don't know about the brackets at this time, I may try to make something else work (ford, chevy).

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 pm

yes i am in woodland wa.
next if i did not have/found a stock factory k/kb rear bumper i was considering the 1948 to 1956 ford pickup factory style rear bumper as there readily avalble from the after market as well as there fairly in exspensive.
also you can buy the bumper brackets for said bumper in the after market fairly reasonable.
this said lastly time i look quite a few years ago lmc truck parts want around $100 dollars for a reproduction 48 to 56 ford pickup rear bumper in chrome.

this said all i really have left is a bar k/kb 1 thru 5 cab and the guy i bought it from still has the bed&tailgate&doors from the pickup the cab came from and some other stuff.

how ever he is further nort up I 5 from me in winlock wa.

yet at 1 point i did need them and at the time i needed them my sisters friend and here husbend were renting from the guy that has the junk yard were there at and he was suposed to pull them off for me and pay the guy and bring them to me and i was going to pay him.

how ever he kept puting me off as well as i did not make the time to go do it myself.

as i was not in a hurry and knew that they were not going any were any time soon.

well wating and not going and getting them i got luckly and was able to buy not only a rear bumper but a front bumper tail light bracket front bumper splash pans and rear bumper brackets off craigs list out of portland from a guy that litter runing a kb3 and turned it into a rat rod.

know it will be soley up to me to go get them as my sisters friend and her husbend had a falling out with the guy that has the truck with the bumper brackets and no longer rent from him as well as there not allowed on his property.

so it is soley up to me to go get them and if at all possibly i am going to go get them this summer if the guy is still alive as he is up in his 80s and there for even if you do not want/need them i need to g get them as some buddy else may need them and it would be a shame to have the guy pass on and than the brackets get crushed as that about all that is any good on the truck except for maybe the rear bed fenders.

robertkb48

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Robert,

Thanks for all of your information, I will keep it in mind that you may have the rear bumper brackets sometime this summer. You mentioned the bed with rear fenders was still available, would you have any idea what kind of shape the splash guards on the rear fenders are in?

Thanks,
binderbud

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:45 pm

the rear fenders i am taking about are on the truck with the rear bumper and if i remember right there were no steel gravel guards on the fender of said bed as they were an option and not every truck got them.

as to the other bed that came of the truck i got the cab from i sold the rear fenders from it way way back when and the steel gravel gaurds were not on the fenders nor do i have the gravel gaurds from said fenders are any steel gravel guards at all.
lastly i hunted for a long time and never did find a set so i just had the holes in my fenders welded up.
robertkb48

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:59 pm

thanks Robert, I may have to do the same

Return to K and KB