Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 am

DOOR WINDOW CHANNEL PART 3

The first thing you need to install your new window channel is to mark it where the clips go. I found the easiest way to locate the clips is to stick a piece of masking tape on the door and and make a pencil mark on the tape at the center of each hole excluding the bottom holes inside the door. Please see the picture below. You also need to make a measurement with a tape measure from the holes near the bottom of the window opening to the hole in the tab inside the door, front and rear. Next, locate the center of the new channel and make a mark. Push the new channel into the steel door channels and align the center mark on the channel with the center mark your made on the masking tape on the door. Be sure to pull the new channel securely into the top corners of the door and secure it with tape or clamps. Also, stick a piece of tape on the forward part of the channel so you can install it in the same position it was in when you made your marks. Now mark the rest of your hole locations onto the new channel. You will have to use the measurements you made earlier to mark the bottom clip locations. Remove the channel and install the clips where you made your marks. I think the easiest way to install the clips is to put a small piece of 1/4" thick wood or aluminum in the channel under the clip, and squeeze the clip into the channel material with a pair of pliers. You don't have to squash the clips because the steel channel in the door keeps the clips closed when installed. You may also have to move them a little to get perfect alignment with the holes on the door. Do not squeeze the two bottom clips yet. Before installation, I put a little white lithium grease on the top of each clip to make them easier to push into the holes. Put the channel back into the door, align the clips with the holes, and using your 1/4" piece of wood in the channel push the clips into the holes (sometimes you have to tap the wood with a hammer).

Now comes the fun part, installing the two bottom clips inside the door. Stick your hand in and feel the bottom clip to see if it is near the hole. Slide the clip up or down until you can feel the tip of the clip sticking into the hole. When you know the clip is aligned, support the back of the tab and push the clip in to place. The steel channel will squeeze the clip as it is installed.

Install the glass in your new channel in the reverse order of the steps I outlined in Part #1 of these instructions.

The last thing to install are the cat whiskers which I will cover in a new thread.

Spikedog