Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:58 pm

DOOR CHANNEL PART #1

As I said in a previous thread, I learned a lot of lessons installing new door glass channels and "cat whiskers" in my KB 1 panel delivery truck. This thread is the first step in this process and I'm sure my method is only one of many ways of accomplishing this task. The cut-away door pictures in this thread are a D/K/KB 6 and larger series door. The KB 1-5 doors are similar but not exactly the same as the one pictured. In any event, the process will be the same. I guess this process can be done with door on the truck but, in my opinion, the door should be removed from the truck and laid on a padded work surface.

The first step is to disassemble the door. Start by removing the interior window access panel and crank the window down until the steel channel on the bottom of the glass is visible in the access hole. Remove the screws securing the window operator. Notice the slots in the steel channel on the bottom of the glass have a round hole at one end of the slot. Move the spring loaded fingers on the window operator to the slot holes and remove. Push the glass to the top and remove the window operator to get it out of the way. Now, carefully slide the glass about half way down and rotate it 90º towards the front until it clears the old glass channels. Remove the glass through the window opening.

Next, use a tack puller or a small screw driver and pry out the "cat whiskers", there are 6 clips securing each side. Now you can remove the old window channel. Use a pair of needle nose pliers and grip the clips and pull loose. The clips are visible if you look for them. There are three in the top, one on each side near the bottom of the window opening, and one at the bottom of each steel channel inside the door. There are 7 clips in all. CAUTION: If you can remove the channel without breaking it it makes it a lot easier to locate the clips on your new channel.

Congratulations, the easy part is done. Stay tuned for part 2.

Pic. 1. Shows the location of the clip holes and the steel channels in the door.

Pic. 2. VERY IMPORTANT. This picture shows the tab at the bottom of the steel channel that takes the bottom clip on the window channel. It is very flimsy and bends easily. If it is not straight, the new clip will not go into the hole.

Pic. 3. This picture shows the old "cat whiskers". This old parts needs to be removed.

Spikedog

ImageImageImage