Box/Bed options and opinions

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Box/Bed options and opinions

During these cold winter months when I'm unable to do much on my truck, a 1949 KB-6 I named "Big Red" (check out my blog in the signature), I've been giving some thought to options for finishing off the bed. First off, here's the truck as received last summer:

The origional idea was to make the truck into a stake side flat bed, and I found this great KB-6 photo online and dubbed it "The Plan:"

It's at this point I should note that I went into this truck purchase kind of wanting a military vehicle, and ended up finding this photo of a K-8 procured by the British Royal Navy:

Now, all I can think of is making my KB-6 a "mock" military truck (even if it isn't OD green). To that end, I'm considering buying a deuce and a half bed and putting it on the back rather than the flatbed stake side. I created a mock-up in MS Paint:

I found a deuce bed in a spot I'm actually travelling to (Owatonna, MN) in April for $600. Anyone have opinions? Anyone have any idea on how hard it would be to attach to my truck? Would I end up ruining the historical value of my truck? Thanks for any help on the decision!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Box/Bed options and opinions

I like it. As far as the historical aspect of your truck, I have always felt that one should build it the way you want, except in the case of extreme rarity. They built a bunch of these trucks. Let the next owner worry about if it is the correct paint etc. Build it to enjoy. It is better that you saved it and did what you want, rather then have it end up in a crusher.
Just my opinion, which is worth every penny you paid for it.
oldbike99
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:52 am

I like it. Anyway if you do change your mind in the future, paint can be redone and anything you attach to the frame can be removed.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:40 pm

I personally like the look of the bed you already have, it says "work truck" all over it, does kinda look like a dumpster hauler though too,

I'm not too keen on the useless fancy pants side rails in first option pic, says, "trailer queen" to me,

military transport look is cool for sure, nice job with MS paint by the way,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:58 pm

I agree with Dean466 and Oldbike99, I like it too. Besides if you build it how you want it you'll be much happier with the finish product and less likely to give up along the way.
48 KB-2 on 75 International 4x4 chassis

4? M5H6 with solid type cab and front winch

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Moose,
You may be able to get some money out or your existing bed. It looks like a newer all steel bed. Does it have a wood floor? Beds of that type that are the same vintage as the truck had wood floors and wood sides.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:12 pm

dean466 wrote:Moose,
You may be able to get some money out or your existing bed. It looks like a newer all steel bed. Does it have a wood floor? Beds of that type that are the same vintage as the truck had wood floors and wood sides.

Dean

The grain box is gone already:

I tried to sell it last summer on Craigslist, but didn't get any serious bites. It wasn't vintage (the guy I bought my truck off said he bought it from the original owner who said they put it on in the '70's). I sold the sides for scrap and the wood was rotted and that's a photo of my buddy and me prying it off.

Return to K and KB