I need help identifying a block!!

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:33 pm

I need help identifying a block!!

I've been looking over the block and all I know is that it is a Green Diamond. The only real identifying mark on it is on the top of the head is 104043 H cast into it. Does anyone have any insight? Truck is a 1945 K5 its a 1 1/2 ton flat bed.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Re: I need help identifying a block!!

is there a flat spot on the drivers side up by the front two cylinders. If there is, should have numbers on it, if it was not a replacement motor.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 pm

The only thing I found there was the Green Diamond logo but on the driver side in the front corner of the block theres a casting number right under the head. Does 93002 mean anything to anyone?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm

It is more than likely a GRD233. Less likely to be a GRD213. Both are the same except for the crank, different stroke to get the extra cubes. Unless I am missing something, otherwise, they are the same basic engine.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm

the flat cast erea llyod spoke of should be stamped and start with grd 214 grd 233 are grd 175 as these are the only 3 vershion of the grd motor used in the k/kb 1 thru 5.

this said the stock orgional motor for a 1945 k5 would have bin the grd 233.

yet you could have specail order a 1945 k5 with the smaller grd 214.

than as to the grd 175 these are not that common and what i have readheard is they were only offered in the latter kb 1 thru 3 pickup series.

yet i do not know for 100% certainty that this is the case are am i saying this is the case.

next there is the eralier 37 to 40 d series trucks that used an hd series motor which is very simular to the grd series motors and the two will interchange/bolt up intenticly either into a k/kb 1 thru 5 are a 37 to 40 d series.

further more the heads are also interchangeable from the hd and grd series.

so there for there is the possiblity you could have an hd series block with a grd head as you have already detrimined you have the grd head.

there for if the block is an hd the first 2 didgets on the machined area llyod is talking about would be hd.

this said the numbers you have givin us are incomplete and are only the numerail oder in which the block was manufactered and there for with only these numbers we can not tell you what model are cubic inch block you have.

so if it were me i would take some solvet and are sand paper and clean the machince suface llyod refered to.

as this area gets very dirty and greesey over time making it hard to read the numbers.

also the numbers can be hard to read at time as there hand stamped.

so it depends on who stamped the numbers and how hard they swung to the hammer to hit the number stamped to inprint the number onto the block.

yet since you found the numercial oder stamped numbers i would almost be willing to bet you just did not see are over looked the first 5 didgets in front of the numercial order number that will tell use what model block you have and what cubic inch the block is.

further more all orgional blocks were stamped with not only the nemerical oder which they were made in but also the block/motor style and the cubic in.

so there for if you block is only stamped with the numerical order numbers it was made in than the block is a factory non orgional replacement block.
reason being is factory orgional replacement blocks were left blank unstamed due to the reason back in the day before truck had an acutal true vin number like they do know days some states titled trucks/vechicles off the motor number and not the frame number.

this way with the factory block being left blank the dealer/factory machinic are private indavigal eplacing the block than could stamp the numbers from there orgional block into the factory replacement block so they had matching numbers so the numbers matched the title.

how ever in those states that used the motor number if you changed the motor to say a used are new motor with differant block numbers you were suspose to have it in spected and re titled so the block numbers matched the title.

yet most people neglated to due so.

so know days in those states that used the block number for title/id purposes and people did not change/update the title to match the block number people run itno all kinds of issuses of being able to get the vechicle titled as to the year of the vechicle.
also vechicles get mistakenly title as to the wrong year/model because the title was not properly updated as it should have bin.

the worst case in that you may wind up with what they call an essambly title and not an acutal title as to the correct year model the vechicle is due to the fact the title was not updated to show that motor was changed.

lastly i hope my info helps every one and does not confuse the op are any one else as i have givin more detailed info than the op asked for.

robertkb48

Return to K and KB