Engine mud shields?

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Engine mud shields?

I have heard it mentioned that at least some K/KB models had splash shields mounted between the frame rains and the engine, similar to what Model A Fords did. On the Fords, these directed cooling air from the fan, shielded the underhood area from mud and also acted as an electrical ground between the engine and frame. And yes, they did fatique and crack over time, even though the engine movement was minimal.
Does anyone have information on this? I have looked at MANY dozen of these trucks over the years, but have never seen one with these shields.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Re: Engine mud shields?

yes the k/kb 1 thru 5s most defently came with and had mud sheilds on each side of the frame betewen the motor and the frame from the factory as well as i belive you will find it was standard equimpent on all k/kb 1 thru 5s and not a specail item that was an option.
how ever i can not say with 100% certainty as i have never acutaly compared the mud gaurds.
yet i belive you will find that the k4 and k/kb5s used larger mud gaurds than the smaller k/kb 1 thru 3 pickups.
with this said another member has a belive it is a drivers side mud gaurd listed for sale in the swap meet section of the forum for a smaller k/kb pickup and in fact he said it came off a kb3.
further more the main reason you do not see very many of the mud guards is because over time people have removed them when having to work on there pickup/truck and they purposely leave them out as there a pain in the but to remove/install as well as there is the way when you have to work on your pickup/truck.
how ever i have personaly had 1 complete set that were on a 1942 k4 that i parted out and scraped.
yet i did not pull remove the mud gaurds due to the fact the truck was sitting in a cayon nere a drop of into a creek making it hard enough to salvage what parts i did as the truck had bin sitting out in the weather in the cayon for like 25 years before i found out about it and that has bin like 3 years ago now that i parted it.
i also did not pull them as i have never seen are heard of any one even wanting a set as well as you are the first person other than the member that listed the 1 in the swap meet section of the forum that has even mechtioned anything about the mud guards in like at least 8 years as i have bin posting on oldihc for at least this long.
lastly all the mud gaurds did on the k/kbs was prevent mud and did nothing with cooling as the iner fenders are slooted/ribbed like fish gills to help get air flow into the engine compartment and help with cooling.
hope this helps.
robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 pm

The cooling issue I mentioned was for the Ford Model A, even though the hood sides were also slotted like the KB inner fenders.
I just find it really curious that I have never ran across one of these trucks with even one shield in place. I will just have to keep looking.
oldbike99

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:49 pm

like i said most were removed and never put back in places.
further more out of 13 trucks i have personaly parted as well a i have a friend that built 3 out of five and another friend that has parted 2 i have only had 1 set which were on the k4 and my friend that built 3 out of 5 has 1 truck that has one and my other friend has never had any.
so it does not susprize me you have not run accross any as there very hard to find due to the fact most were removed and disgaurded many many years ago.
yet if you want 1 there is 1 for sale in the swap meet section.
lastly i understand you said they were to help with cooling on the fords and i was only pointing out that they were not used to help with cooling on the k/kbs.
hope this helps more.
robertkb48

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Perhaps that truck you parted out is still there Robert? If so, someone could try to recover the ones you left? Just a thought. Would be an interesting addition to a fully restored KB.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:53 pm

llyod if the truck was still there i indeed would got them as they indeed would be a crowning touch on a 100% factory orgional restored truck as well as they would be a must for a person wanting to restore i truck to the 100% orgional way it came from the factory.
how ever with the records being what they are it is nearly imposable to restore a k/kb truck/pickup are most any ihc pickup/truck prior to the mid to late 50s to the way it orgionaly came from the factory 100%.

all this said/exsplained the truck is long gone and has bin for like 3 are 4 years now as it was hauled of for scrap as there was not realy any thing good left on it when i was done with it as i am verry good about pulling all the good useable sellable parts before i scrap a truck.
lastly i would have saved the mud gaurds but as i said no buddy has really ever made mentichion of wanting any in at least the last 8 years.
robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 pm

I had the engine mud guards on my truck but sold them on ebay when I swapped out the I-6 engine.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 pm

My 1949 KB3 had them when I bought it which was a surprise to me since I already owned a 1949 KB2 when I bought the KB3 and the KB2 did not have them, though I discovered that the frame on the KB2 was drilled for them. I used the ones that were on the KKS on my restoration of my KB2 and used them to make up a set which I will install on the KB3. They add a nice finished look to the truck. If anyone is interested, I can try to take some pictures an post them.I t was fairly easy for my metal bending friend to make up a set.- Stickman 207

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Pictures/dimensions would be appreciated.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:58 pm

I have what i believe is a engine mud guard from a 1947 KB-3 available if anyone has a interest. This I believe was used on the Driver side in some military versions of the KB-3. PM me for additional details. This is not a toe-board. This item is on ebay now!

8-)
Attachments
000_1394 (640x478).jpg
Last edited by autoholic on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
JC
Next

Return to K and KB