KBS-5 wiring question

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 pm

KBS-5 wiring question

I have brought this topic up before, but never came up with a definitive answer, so I am going to try again.
In studying the wiring diagrams (several different) for the KB series, I note that there are three, braided ground wires listed. One, of course, is from the positive battery terminal to the chassis. The other two are listed as "engine ground strap" and "dash ground" and both are listed as being braided.
I fully understand the need for them, but would like to verify the physical location of them and replace them if missing. I have looked but had no luck.
oldbike99
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: KBS-5 wiring question

Ok, I promise this is the last time I ask this question. Has anyone seen/ made note of any braided electrical cables, other than the positive battery cable, their K/KB series truck? Specifically between the dash and the cab, as well as the engine and the frame.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Mine (K-7's) had a braided strap around the front motor mount to ground the engine to the chassie. I don't trust them, I run 00 gauge from the battery direct to the engine, and let the strap ground the frame.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 am

Paul,
All of the wires on my '48 KB-5 are braided.
Until I can get time (and when it is not frozen outside) along with the $$, I will go to a local NAPA store to have them order what I need. At the NAPA that I used to work at (Elk River, MN), we stocked the cloth braided wire in multiple gauges.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 am

Another thought... if you want to look at other KB's, Weekly's used to have several K and KB trucks in the far back of the main lot. Ask Scott if they are still back there.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 am

Too cold to go look right now.I have been doing business with Scott's family for 35 years. What a great resource.

By "braided", I meant un-insulated wires. If any one has a picture, I would appreciate it.

I don't trust any original ground. It is too easy to focus on the power side and forget about the return path.

Thanks everyone

Return to K and KB