k/kb box sstyles

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 pm

k/kb box sstyles

hi i brought up the point off ihc using 3 differant style boxes on at least the kb model pickups.

the first time i brought it up i posted severail photos of a differant 3rd style box i had saw and still have access to it as it is for sale complete with tailgate.

the box was an orange color yet since than i have had to purchase a new computer as my old one went down and i lost all my photos including the ones of said bed&tailgate.

further more member dgodat that has not re regestered yet that also ownes the chreme and brown kb1 panel that use to come up when you were browzing the sight who is also a friend of mine is the one that owens and has said bed.

how ever he had a mild hart attack here a few months back and is still recovering so at this point i can not get photos of this bed.

yet i have severail photos of another bed identical to it.

how ever i down sized the photos of said bed in the past to be able to upload them here on the sight and can know not in large them.

yet i am hoping some one else can are knows how to because it would help tremendusly if the photos could be enlargened as they would be easier to see the details of said bed.

so with this said i am going to forwad said photos to llyod and have him post them here on this topic as i have not yet mastered the task of posting photos to the new sight yet.

this said this 3rd style box i am talking about has the same identical floor cross members steel floor tailgate side pocket chain mounting brackets and chain&hooks as the stock ihc style box for the k/kb pickups.

yet the box sides themselfs are totaly flat and smooth as well as they have rounded/curved stake pockets.

but neither the knox are ihc style box has curved/rounded stake pockets and instead there square and flate.

next the sides of the box are shorter than the knox are stock ihc bed.

as well as the tailgate for said box is shorter and longer than either the stock ihc box are the knox.

contuining on the tailgate for said box uses 47 to 55 first series chevy/gmc style lower pivots/hinges.

yet the upper tailgate mounts are very simular to if not the same style as used on the knox which are totaly differant than the stock ihc style box.

but the chains/hooks used to hold the tailgate shut are identical to the ones used on the stock ihc style box.

contuining the tailgate for said box to me looks identical to the style used on the 47 to 55 first series chevy/gmc but like i said it has upper mounts are almost identical if not the same as to those used on the knox tailgate.

further more the tailgate is completely smooth and does not say cheverolet knox are gmc like said box tailgate should nor does it have the 3 embosed lines like the stock k/kb tailgate has that match the embosed lines on the side of the ihc stock box.

contuning on the box sides to me look to be of the 47 to 55 first series chevy/gmc pickups as well as the stake pocket look to be of the same.

how ever the box sides are factory punched with the bolt pattern for the k/kb style box fenders as well as the box had orgional k/kb rear fenders and you can tell for a fact that the box sides were only ever and orgionaly punched for and with the pattern for the k/kb rear fenders.

as well as you can tell that every part of said box is factory made and not home made.

another thing said box still has the factory data/capicity tag intact located on the drivers side on the rear of the box just forward of the stack pocket and is held in place with 4 drive rivets just like it is on the stock ihc made k/kb bed.

next the box is a 7 1/2 foot bed and the tags say so.

yet i can not remeber what else the tags says as it has bin to long since i saw the tag.

but i do rember it is indentical to the tag on my kb1s stock ihc style bed.

this said when i first heard about the box i was thinking it had to be home made.

yet after seeing it and laying my hands on it personaly i can tell you with out a dought in my mind and with 100% certainty that said box is 100% orgional bone stock and orgional to the truck.

i also say this because before hearing about and seeing said box in person i had seen another kb2 to be presist on ebay that had this same identical box and at the time i saw said truck with said box i thought some one had put a 47 to 55 first series chevy/gmc bed on a kb and than re drilled the bed for the stock k/kb fender as it had the stock orgional k/kb rear box fenders as well as i thought they had used an after market 47 to 55 first series chevy/gmc tailgate and add the stock k/kb style box tailgate chains and box side chain holders and there owen upper mounts.

reason being is the chains and chain holders were 100% identical to the ones used on the stock k/kb style box.

as to the reason on the tailgate this is because the after market 47 to 55 chevy/gmc first series tailgate can be bought and are sold blank with out any logo stamped into them.

than as to the upper latches i thought they were custom as i had never seen anything like them.

yet know that i have seen the upper latches used on the knox box tailgate these were simular if not the same.

this said i have know seen like 3 complete kb pickups which were kb2s with said style box and 1 other bed which is the bed in the pics i am having lloyd hopefully post for me as again i have not figured out how to post photos to the new sight yet.

plus the bed/box that former member dgodat still has that started this hole topic about there being 3 totaly differant style beds/boxes for at least the kb pickups.

this said and i what i have seen as well as laid my hands on i can honestly say that ihc at least made a 3rd totaly differant style beds for the kb2s.

further more there is even other companies besides knox that made beds for ihc and this i know as former member buckeye binder let me know way back when when i first brought this subject up of ihc offering 3 tottaly differant style boxes for at least the kbs that he had a k are kb that came orgional from the factory with a marion manufactured box.

all this said my hole point of this tpoic is to point out that there is enough evadenice to prove that there were at least 3 totaly differant style pickup beds that at least a kb2 pickup could have left the factory with and that all 3 use differant tailgates.

so please if any one knows any more on this third style box are has on please reply and post pics for all of us as i want to get every budy aquainted with this third style box to show them it is real and exsist and is just not my imagainashtion are something i made up.

lastly sorry for the long lenghtly drug out message but i knew no other way to exsplain/get my point accross.

robertkb48.
p.s. i hope llyod can get the photos up soon as well possibly in large them are have some one else as they may be to small in there present form to be able see them clear enough to see/make out the differances in all 3 style beds.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 am

Re: k/kb box sstyles

thanks scott these are some of the pics i was wanting to be posted as they clearly show the tailgate is nothing like a knox are stock ihc style box tailgate.
but instead that the tailgate looks more like a 47 to 55 first series chevy/gmc pickup tailgate.
yet the photos do not clearly show the box sides are the stake pockets and i know that when i origonaly posted these photos way way back on one of the older vershions of the oldihc sight that i made sure to post photos that clearly showed the stake pockets.
that said the stake pockets on the orange box in the photo are differant than the knox are factory more commonly known factory ihc style bed and to me they look more like 47 to 55 first series chevy/gmc pickup.
how ever i am hopeing the other bed photos that i am sending to llyod as well as to you if you would like them of another bed identical to the orange one in the photos will show the differances and maybe exsplain why ihc used this third totaly differant than the knox and the stock ihc style box.
almost forgot scott if you would like photos of the other box personaly just pm me a message as to were to send them as again i have not yet figured out how to post photos on the new sight.
further more and again the orange box& tailgate in the photo came off an orgional kb2 as well as the box has the factory orgional capicity/data tag on it as well as the orange box&tailgate in the photo are of a differant style than the knox and the more commonly know ihc style.
yet the orange box has allot of the same identical parts as the more commonly know ihc box.
with the only real differances being the tailgate for sure is slightly shorter and wider than the knox and stock ihc box tailgate.
as well as the boxsides are smooth and the stack pockets are curved/rounded instead of square like they are on the knox and stock ihc box.
also the box sides and tailgate appear to me to be those of the 47 to 55 chevy/gmc first series pickups.
lastly all i can tell you with 100% certainty as i personaly laid my hand on as well as took the pics scott/d15h so kindly posted of the orange box in the photos is that it is most defently 100% bone stock to the kb2 pickup it came off as well as it if factory made and not home made and is most defently differant that either the knox are more commonly know factory ihc bed as well as the tailgate itself is unic to this box and will not fit the other 2 style boxes used on the k/kb picks.
p.s thanks again scott as well as the orange box&tailgate in the pics is for sale and it came of a kb2 so it will fit/work on any long box k/kb1&2
robertkb48

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 am

I bought a KNOX box home made trailer a few yrs. back, had KNOX tailgate original to it, and KB rear fenders, in original bolt holes, original bolts,

the box itself had those curvy type stake pockets on it too. I sold the tail gate and the fenders, and gave the box to my buddy, next time I'm at his house I'll take some pictures of it.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm

i remember seing the box you had bedrock john as i belive you were trying to sell it on ebay if i am not mistaken a couple years back.
next this box i am taking about does not say knox on the tailgate nor did it ever.
yet i belive if i remember right that the box in question and your box has the same cruvey stake pockets.
how ever if i recall correctly the knox boxs have sqaure stake pockets just like the factory ihc stye box.
but i could be mistaken as it has bin awhile nice i have seen any knox box.
further more all the knox boxes i have seen either had wood floor are square diamond metal floor as were this box has the same identenal steel ribbed floor as the factory more commonly know ihc box floor.
so i am tending to think it is not a knox because as far as i know all knox boxs said knox on the tailgate.
how ever photos of the box you gave to your buy would be great as well.
thanks robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 pm

what type of box is this?

what type of box is this?
Attachments
DSCN0349.JPG
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:03 pm

thank you so much oldbike99 as the box you posted the photo of the style box i am rfereing to and you black box looks and apears to be identical to the orange box i am refereing to in the pics.
next your the first person to ever and i mean ever post photos of another one of these 3rd style box.
yet there was 1 other person way back when that responed saying they had said style box but never posted any photos of it.
next what does the tailgate on your box look like?
does it say knox are is it blank and flat the the orange tailgate in the pics.
further more what model/body is your truck k1/k2/kb1 are kb2?
reason i am asking is because i am tryying to figure out if said style box was used on all the long bed k/kb1&2s are if it was just used on the kb2s as all the trucks i have seen with said style box have bin kb2s.
lastly thank you so very much for posting the pic of your box as it know proves what i have bin trying to point out yet not beable to prove as i was the only one that had any real first hand knolege of this style bed.
robertkb48

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:06 pm

let me see if I can get these posted for Robert;
Attachments
tailight bracket 3.jpg
rear bumper.jpg
kb3 1.jpg
k3 3.jpg
3738bed1.jpg