Pre-war vs Post-war Trucks

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:32 am

Re: Pre-war vs Post-war Trucks

Here is a truck , they say from the 30's , can you imagine what that was like to see that beast in the woods .
Attachments
IHC -30's Log truck.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:03 am

nikkinutshop wrote:The IHC of of the good old days has little or nothing to do with a 2015 International. Google it.

nikkinutshop, no disrespect, but Google isn't my source of information. When Tennaco bought out the agriculture part of IHC, part of the deal was that the truck division rename itself to Navistar International Corp in 1986. It is the only part of the IHC company that was able to stand on it's own.............and it is still alive today. That was my point.

If the internet is your source of preference for information, here is the history directly off the Navistar website:
http://www.navistar.com/navistar/whoweare/heritage

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:41 am

There you go, an explanation that you are comfortable with. "It" does not get any better than that.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Found this on Youtube yesterday-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBMerHf9DA

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I love this subject!
I agree with BRJ about the "old" styling being best
A brute SV IHC V-8 transpanted into a 1930s IHC would be the best of both worlds. The IHC 304 V-8 version fits 1938 D Series with very little modification. I've done one.
Otherwise, you have to go with the mid fifties and later when the V-8s came out.
My opinion.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm

During WWII, it would have been the Quartermaster Corps that handled vehicle contracts. The contract was awarded to the "parent" company who was to make the product - called the Prime Contractor. The Prime contractor was then able to sub-contract work to other companies as needed due in part to speed up production. You might have a sub-contractor who made the rear axle assembly, the transmission, the brake assemblies, wiring, etc.. Some military items that would be specific to the contract were often supplied by the government and called GFE or Government Furnished Equipment.

Some Prime contractors had little use for sub-contractors as they produced all parts themselves in house (like Ford), while other Prime contractors sub-contracted the majority of their work out and did the final assembly. All military goods, trucks, planes, machine guns, etc. had to be inspected by a military inspector (who was on-site) and then "accepted" the item/assembly and credited it towards meeting the total number of items as agreed to between the Prime contractor and the government. An initial order could have been for 500 X-items and if the order was to be extended for more items, the government would renegotiate for the additional order/price and write an "addendum" to the original contract order, ie 500 X-items and "Addendum 1" for 450 X-items more. The government could also cancel a contract at any time.

The Prime contractor was paid a partial payment up front to provide cash flow so the Prime contractor could begin setting up for production. Some would secure war loans through the banks to get going quicker and then use the first government installment to pay towards the loan. The government could divide the remaining monies owed the Prime contractor by production items "accepted" or one larger payment when the contract was completed. The Prime contractor was responsible for negotiating pricing & paying any sub-contractors.

Trucks were not let out to the public during the war years. I think sales/manufacturing stopped by March 1942. In 1944, an allotment of trucks were approved by the government to be sold to the public to replace worn equipment such as farm equipment or for industrial uses. I have a booklet, which I can't seem to place, that gives the total number of trucks released to the public. I think it was 10,000 of all makes. This is why you don't see many trucks having war year production dates unless they were earlier production vehicles held in storage or those released in 1944. My brother has a neighbor who's father was a farmer and he got a 1944 production (VIN year) Dodge chassis that has a stake bed on it. I think it is a 1 1/2 ton truck with dual tires (not twin axles). 1944 VIN dated trucks are rare.

The quality of the truck during the war versus after the war should not have changed much unless some items were substituted with an equivalent that was not as durable, but worked, due to war material shortages.

Here is a great WWII war movie about International Harvester detailing what IH made during the war. "The Strong Shall Be Free." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j14hLO6Pw8

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm

My pre-war K1 has a Stainless Steel Grill section not steel
Previous

Return to K and KB