KB 1 Hood Removal

The old and reliable.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:20 pm

KB 1 Hood Removal

I am preparing to tilt the cab back from the frame to address the serious rust issues underneath. I have everything disconnected from the engine compartment but I would like to know what is the best way to remove the hood? Do I remove the hood with the brackets or remove from the brackets? Does this require two people or do people rig some kind of support for the front while unbolting? Just trying to find the least torturous route.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: KB 1 Hood Removal

best to remove hood from brackets, what I do is stuff blanket between open hood and cowl, put a prop rod from front inside hood to top of grill hood latch plate,

remove the hood screws, and lift it off, blanket is to protect paint, if you haven't painted yet you can skip that part, install is same process,

I just did this a few days ago with my panel, makes it easy for one person,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:14 pm

I take it that the nuts holding the hood bolts are welded to the hood since you can't get behind them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:24 am

Those are weld nuts on the hood...if you are lucky the bolts won't break off. Put some PB blaster or something like that on bolts unless you decide to heat bolts prior to removing.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:51 am

Thanks for the help. I got the hood off without difficulty. Putting those hinge springs back on will be fun, though. The cab is tilted back now and the rust removal begins.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:21 am

I left the springs on my hinges, to reinstall, do the two rear ones first, back one is tight, I dropped the brass washer about 10 times,

what I do is with sprung one is put a crescent wrench on the little tab by spring, then you can lever sprung arm to line up to hole,,,,,,and maybe punch yourself in the face with a crescent wrench.

they are easier to remove than install.

PJ3

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:29 pm

To put the springs back on, place a washer between each turn of the spring thus making it longer. It will slip right on, then remove the washers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:47 am

PJ3 wrote:To put the springs back on, place a washer between each turn of the spring thus making it longer. It will slip right on, then remove the washers.

great tip, ^^^^^^ not as fun as punching yourself in the face, but it works

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:19 pm

Save your knuckles and pull the spring on with a cotter pin removal tool...I bought one at Sears 25 years ago initially for installing the lower passenger side viewing window on my IHC cabover... I locked myself out of the truck numerous times on the side of the road till I figured the lock was getting tripped when I would shut the door!

Return to K and KB