Found one, you guys will laugh

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Found one, you guys will laugh

Ok, don't ask me why I am so excited, but I have been looking for one of these since I got the KBS5. Got one, just arrived today. :D I made my own crank handle, and will continue to look for an original

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Re: Found one, you guys will laugh

very Cool! I know I took a picture of a crank I had, but do not know where it went, either the picture nor the crank.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Will this do?
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 pm

What diameter material is the crank made of and how much offset does the crank have? Thank you.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 am

I'll post pictures of the repro I made and will include dimensions. There were excellent dimensions posted on the old site to a post I made requesting them. the rod stock I used was 3/4" cold roll. The pin is 3/4" cold roll. The offset and bend measurements I will have to post later. took me about 45 mins to make it. I also peened the 3/8" cross pin in place. Others may choose to weld it. for what it's worth, I actually started my KBS5 with it. Wasn't too bad actually, but I have lot's of Farmall's that require crank start.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 pm

I recall that I had a crank for my first Kb (1947 KB2) back in the mid 1970s. At the time, it was my daily driver and more than once the crank was needed. There always seemed to be some smart alex standing there asking if I was "winding up the spring".
I also have a 1931 Ford Model A which with the very low compression ratio and with the manual adjustment of the spark timing, very easy to start with the crank.
Did the cranks come standard or an option? Also, was there a designated spot to store it or did everyone just toss it behind the seat, where it could just add to the rattles as you drove down the street!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:12 pm

My brother had an R-10 and a Peugoet 404, both had cranks, both of which were easyer to start by pushing then with the crank. I have cranked my Buda powered gen-set (62.5 KVA... 525 CID Buda OHV) but by far the worce thing I started with a crank was a 9 cyl P&W radial in an AT-6 trainer. You cranked up a big flywheel, and once you got it going as fast as you could, you pulled in a clutch and hoped the engine fired, If it didn't you were done for, and a fresh body would be required for teh 2nd attempt.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 am

I found the printed copy of the original specs from the old site. Here is the info

Tom, I have an original crank hande. The rod diameter is 3/4", the length of the main shaft is 22" to the bend, the offset is 10" to the handle, then the handle is 4 1/2". The pin is set back a 1/2" from the end and is 3/8" diameter by 1 1/2" long.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:04 pm

tom fleming wrote:I found the printed copy of the original specs from the old site. Here is the info

Tom, I have an original crank hande. The rod diameter is 3/4", the length of the main shaft is 22" to the bend, the offset is 10" to the handle, then the handle is 4 1/2". The pin is set back a 1/2" from the end and is 3/8" diameter by 1 1/2" long.

Thank you. Off to the steel supplier on Monday!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 am

My dad has a crank for his Farmall Super C that I think is stock. I can take some pix of that when I go back in Apr. Don't know though if it's the same handle as for the KB, though.

He's going to sell it at the auction, but you'll have to buy the tractor to go with it :lol:
"How the heck did that happen?"
Next

Return to K and KB