VIN #

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri May 15, 2015 2:45 am

VIN #

Help! I have an old title from 1964 for my 49' KB-2 that I know is legit to the truck with a VIn# that is 5 digits long, first # is a 7. I cannot find a matching number anywhere on the truck. I have the info plates for the cab, the bed, and inside the engine compartment but none of these serial numbers is even the same number of digits. Any one have an idea where the number used could be located?? I am thinking it should be on frame rail but I can't find it. The truck was fully restored by me and my father when I was a kid, my dad pasted away so I can't ask him and I am in a bind trying to get it registered in my state.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 15, 2015 7:39 am

Re: VIN #

The frame number is located on the driver's side, front frame rail, on the outward facing side located in the neighborhood of the spring hanger. Hopefully when the resto was done to the truck someone didn't grind it away. It should look similar to the photo, but with different numbers. The numbers were hand stamped, therefore the irregular appearance.
Attachments
IMG_0121a.jpg
From my '51 L110
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri May 15, 2015 8:16 am

Yup - same place on the KB series. On mine, the number is "KB2-XXXXX". On mine, the stamping was very faint; I used a mild wire brush to clear off the surface rust to find the stamping. A grinder would be overkill like WEW51L110 said.

It's possible the engine number was used instead of the frame number. On a Green Diamond engine, this is on a flat spot on the engine block on the drivers side under the head and near the generator mounting. On my engine, that's a 6 digit number, for what it's worth. On mine, it's "GRD 233 - XXXXXX"

Hope that helps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 15, 2015 11:36 am

^^^^yup^^^^^ IHC mostly titled off the engine back then, I had a 45 K-3 with new motor, there was no number anywhere on the truck to match title #, but no one seems to care here in WA. it changed hands 5 time that I know of with no issues, other states can be difficult,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue May 19, 2015 12:29 am

I helped my dad build the truck when I was a kid, the subject of where the Vin# was never came up. With his passing I had no one to ask. Thanks to you guys who read this forum I have found the Vin on the driver side frame rail in the front. This is a huge help to me as I was having a hell of a time with DMV here in CT. They are uncompromising and I could get no help from them at all. Now I hopefully have all the paperwork I need to go battle the state Gov't once again, wish me luck, this is my third visit(and 4 phone calls). With the car show season upon us here in New England the help from this forum could not have come at a better time, thanks to all the replies they are appreciated.

Return to K and KB