Frame swap....Any suggestions?

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Frame swap....Any suggestions?

I have a 45 K5, and I am planning on getting rid of that big bulky frame for something smaller such as a C10 or S10 chassis. I want functionality I am doing this on a tight budget. Can anyone give any insight?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Re: Frame swap....Any suggestions?

I used an s10 on mine cause i had no frame or box or rear fenders. I even had to find a hood but the s10 fits as close as you will find but wheel spacers are necessary (s10 is too narrow) Mustang clips work very well and dont cost as much as they used to.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 am

I would of really liked to keep the straight axle but at this point I would just like to drive it. How much narrower is the S10 frame? I'm kind of curious if a early 80s C10 will fit they are relatively narrow. I'd like to avoid using wheel spacers but its not that big of a deal.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

Internationalrat45,
A Dodge Dakota frame is a better fit. The track width is very close to original. The '87-'90 Dakota has the same wheel bolt pattern as the stock 1/2 ton wheels. A K/KB 1 short bed has a 113" wheelbase and a long bed truck has a 125" wheelbase. For comparison, a Dakota regular cab short bed has a 111.9" wheelbase and a long bed has a 123.9" wheelbase.

Hope this helps,
Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 pm

It has, thanks. I'm not too concerned about the length. Its a flat bed right now, but that is getting scrapped soon. The nice thing about trucks from that period is they are all straight side, so I can throw about any bed I can get my hands on on it and it'll still look good. The only down side to using a Dakota frame is I already have a 350 I am rebuilding for it. So I would have to change the motor mounts around, but I'll probably have to anyway. The real question I find myself asking is what to do with the Green Diamond thats in it now because it still runs. Great I might add! I thought about putting it up for sale on here.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:07 pm

You can put your motor up for sale, and any other parts you have in the Swap section. Worse comes to worse, Pull all the "smalls" off the motor and see if anyone needs those. Sometimes you can store complete motors for only so long, then they go by by. Your complete, Running Green Diamond, might be the ticket for someone looking to do a restoration.
Luck in your build.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Internationalrat45 wrote:It has, thanks. I'm not too concerned about the length. Its a flat bed right now, but that is getting scrapped soon. The nice thing about trucks from that period is they are all straight side, so I can throw about any bed I can get my hands on on it and it'll still look good. The only down side to using a Dakota frame is I already have a 350 I am rebuilding for it. So I would have to change the motor mounts around, but I'll probably have to anyway. The real question I find myself asking is what to do with the Green Diamond thats in it now because it still runs. Great I might add! I thought about putting it up for sale on here.

Internationalrat45,

I understand that wheelbase is not as important for your application. I put some of that information in for the benefit of others who might read it that do have trucks with beds. Do post your engine for sale here! It may be just what someone else needs.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 pm

I have a 41 K3 on a late 90's s-10 chassis that I picked up and have been working on for the last year or so. Some of the issues you will run into are the spacing for a SBC and tranny. The need for a tranny tunnel depending on the height of your body over the frame. Clearance between the stock s-10 power steering box and the core support. Clearance for the cooling fan. Modifing the inner fender wells to clear the IFS parts. The steering column linkage. Possibly tubbing the rear end to deal with the narrower s-10 rear end. Placement of the s-10 gas tank versus the fuel filler neck on the k body. Routing the custum exhaust system under the body and moving the battery to somewhere else.
Most of these I have solved but still have a few to go. I do have a solution for all of then due to many hours of windshield time engineering.
I can offer some real world blood and tears on this project plus a shoulder to cry on at any point.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks again Dean. Looking at all the mods I'll still will have to overcome with the s10 frame I think I will go with the Dakota. Motor mounts will be an issue either way, it'd be better to go with a frame that fits better.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:38 am

On the s10 frame swap, can the front wheels just be moved out with wheel spacers and different wheels or is it more complicated? Thanks
Next

Return to K and KB