KB5 Door removal

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:22 pm

KB5 Door removal

OK, spring is around the corner (yeah right), and I am getting the itch to start on the next phase for the KB5. I want to remove the doors so I can start to prep them for paint. Are the pins peaned or do they just drive out? I cannot tell for sure. I prefer not drilling them out if I can drive them out.

feedback welcome.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:00 am

Re: KB5 Door removal

The pins can be A bear to get out. I would just unbolt the hinges from the door. Use lots of wd40 on those bolts! Goose

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 pm

goose wrote:The pins can be A bear to get out. I would just unbolt the hinges from the door. Use lots of wd40 on those bolts! Goose

goose is right, you CAN pound the pins out,(they have a knurled shoulder in the top hinge piece) but if your hinges don't have slop, better to unbolt hinge from cab,

I've had better luck leaving hinge on door, and unbolting from cab, use lots of penetrating oil, and heat the bolts if necessary, you also need to grind bottom of door stop rivet too.

use a 6 point socket, not a 12 point, and go Easy! those bolts have a built in washer type setup EZ to strip if you are in a hurry.

now if your hinges are sloppy, you will still need to unbolt them so you can bore out for an oversize pin.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 pm

All good tips on removing doors, if you want to remove pins using a cherry picker slung through the top of door to hold weight of door off of pins..I do this with all vehicles. It is usually the weight of the door you are fighting with on the pin...

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 pm

windigo69 wrote:All good tips on removing doors, if you want to remove pins using a cherry picker slung through the top of door to hold weight of door off of pins..I do this with all vehicles. It is usually the weight of the door you are fighting with on the pin...

Did you ever just want to kick yourself right in the ass? This is a tip I had forgot about, because I am so used to working with modern doors that have no window frames! It's hell to get old. Thanks "windigo69"
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Door pin dimensions

Does anyone know the dimensions of the door hinge pins on a 49 KB so that I can round some up prior
to disassembly
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 pm

spikedog makes/used to make replacement hinge pins.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 pm

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=426 This is his profile, from here you can E-mail him, he has not been on since the 2nd of the month.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback.

Return to K and KB